Showing 251 - 275 of 367 comments
In case we missed something —
This theater opened as the Colonial Theatre in 1914, two blocks from the boardwalk. Located at 1517 Atlantic Avenue near Mississippi Avenue, it seated 1,391. Renamed the Center Theatre in 1954. Yes, the theater was capable of screening 70mm as it was equipped with 35mm/70mm Philips/Norelco projectors and Ashcraft Super Cinex carbon arc lamps. “Greased Lightning” starring Richard Pryor (Warner Bros.—July, 1977) was the last motion picture to be seen at the Center Theatre. The lettering was still on the marquee when the theatre was demolished. The site is now a part of Renaissance Plaza, a shopping center built in 1996. A KFC/Taco Bell now stands where the Center Theatre once stood.
PAB lists this theater under CITY SQUARE THEATRE in Atlantic City, Atlantic County, NJ. No additional details are listed. The Embassy Theatre, City Square Theatre, Shore Theatre, and Beach Theatre were various names for the same theater. Stores were built in front of the theater but that building remains behind those stores. Jersey Discount now claims the 1318 Atlantic Avenue address. The back of the old theater can be viewed from Central Avenue.
Wow! I guess this joint is a something for everyone type of place. Straight porn, queer porn, peep shows, nude shows, private booths. Dirty magazines too. And all of this just a few yards from the bus station. This must be the NEW Atlantic City!
You did not see a building at 1615 Arctic Avenue because there is none. The Alan Theatre was demolished. It’s not a parking lot either. It’s Brown Park, a not so nicely kept city park.
The Absecon Drive-In does have a Cinema Treasures page. Located on Absecon Road (now Blvd.) between Cessna Ln. & Wynnewood Dr.), the drive-in opened in 1955 and was designed by architect Leon M. Einhorn. The Absecon closed in the fall of 1983. Now back to this page and The Alan Theatre.
The Home Depot is NOT on the site of the Absecon Drive-In! The home improvement center is next to the drive-in, on the site of the old golf course. And the Absecon Drive-In never had three screens. The screen structure that was erected in 1970 still stands, or at least it did until October, 2012 when Hurricane (SuperStorm) Sandy hit. Not much else remained.
If the Absecon Drive-In had three screens, two of them must be hiding!
PAB lists the Crest Pier at Seaview Avenue and [E.] Heather Road in Wildwood Crest, Cape May County, NJ. Crest Pier extended into the Atlantic Ocean. Seaview Avenue is three blocks away from the beach, in the opposite direction. And although PAB agrees that it was built in 1905, it says it burned in 1917, not 1919.
There is no trace of the original Crest Pier today, but a Wildwood CREST PIER Recreation Center exists at 5800 Ocean Avenue and E. Heather Road. It appears that the theater was demolished long ago. More information is needed!
The Belmont Theatre building was demolished. Today, other retail buildings have replaced the theater building.
The Auditorium Theatre was located just two blocks from the beach at 1200 New York Avenue (at Reading Ave.) and closed just as it had opened — silent. Now demolished, a metal recycling business occupies the site of the former movie house. It would be interesting to know a few details. Like who was the architect and in what style was it designed? How many seats did it have and in what year did it open and close? And who had operated the theater? Hope someone can share some memories, and thanks!
Margate Theater and Margate Twin are the same theater. The Margate Theater was located on Ventnor Avenue. Does anyone know what the exact address was? Any other info. on this theater?
That’s WEILAND, not WETLAND. Warren Weiland was a theater owner. Someone needs For Eyes!
Ground breaking for Veterans Stadium was 10 April, 1967 so 1966 would have been the last year for the South City Drive-In.
The Gem Theater opened in 1910, seated 400, and burned down around 1931. After 21 years, that’s all we remember? What a shame!
For those who think Cinema Treasures is a social site to talk about old school mates, teachers and principles, it is not. I’m sure Mifflin School has a page. This site is about old movie theaters. Please stay on-topic!
Closed but not demolished! The center of the façade still reads — 1812-1814 CHESTNUT ST. ARCADE — the same as it did when the building opened in 1924. Boyds, the Philadelphia clothier that now calls the building home, did a beautiful job of restoration! By the way, the building was originally designed by Gravell & Hall, (William Henry Gravell, Arthur W. Hall), a Philadelphia engineering partnership.
Yes, this theater is long gone — 26-years to be exact! This stretch of West Market Street has been extensively redeveloped. This gay porn cinema was demolished when the IBX Tower (now the G. Fred DiBona Jr. Building) was constructed in 1988-1990 at 1901 Market Street. The Forum Theatre, another porn palace just three blocks away, met the wrecking ball in February of 2013.
On original documents, the spelling is CAPITAL THEATRE. The building originally had five stories but has since been reduced to three. Also, the building now has a modern façade.
With no marquee and a nondescript façade, it is possible to walk right pass this small gay porn cinema without even taking notice to it. No stadium seating here but cold drinks are available via a soda machine. This place even offers a mood room, whatever that is. Does anyone know when this place opened and how many seats it has? Also, who was the decorator?
BROADWAY THEATRE is carved into the facade of the building, above the columns (or pillars). Take notice that the spelling is THEATRE, not theater.
No, the Broadway did not close in 1959. But if it was closed and demolished in 1971, the last picture show at the Broadway could not have been “Charlotte’s Web” as the film was not released until February 22, 1973 (New York City).
The drive-in opened on May 17th 1868 with “The Sand Pebbles” (starring Steve McQueen). The film had been released on December 20th 1966 — a year and five months earlier — so would this be considered a subsequent run theater?
The drive-in closed on September 28th 1987. Although the screen remained until at least 1995, the property has since been redeveloped.
Does anyone have a photo of the Dante between 1937 —– 1962? Please share. Thanks!
Uh—Oh?! The link that TheaterBluff references by Inga Saffron about the all new Pearl Theater @ Avenue North (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/16386709.htm)is no longer available on philly.com. As so often happens, comments on Cinema Treasures often outlive the links that are referenced. When this occurs, the link portion of the comment should be deleted by the author.