Showing 276 - 300 of 367 comments
Let’s emphasize how hideous those two giant electronic billboards are! Give them to SEPTA. They seem to like those things. Give the Pearl Theatre a classic marquee with chase lights!
Was this the grand opening in 1922? On the marquee —– WILLIAM FOX PRESENTS JOHN GILBERT IN “GLEAM O'DAWN.” John Gilbert (1897-1936) and Barbara Bedford (1903-1981) starred and the film, in b&w and silent, was released by Fox Film Corp. on Sunday, January 8, 1922. Does anyone know if this was, in fact, the opening?
According to PAB, this theater was built in 1922 and renovated in 1951. It did not close in 1955. It was closed in the early 1960’s according to Bryan.
This theater was remodeled in 1936 by William Harold Lee, but who was the original 1916 architect? PAB lists the seating for this theater as 550, while Cinema Treasures lists it at 497. The 1936 remodel could have resulted in a decrease, or increase. Can anyone clarify?
Neighboring Bell Telephone, now Verizon, has expanded onto the theater site.
The Bartram Theatre opened in the silent movie era of 1914 with 494 seats. Located in the Kingsessing neighborhood of Southwest Philadelphia, the theater was designed by Philadelphia architect Leroy Berman Rothschild, AIA (1886—1935). Mr. Rothschild also designed the Sylvania Hotel (now condominiums) at 1324 Locust Street and office buildings (now luxury apartments) at 1600 Walnut Street and 1700 Walnut Street in Philadelphia.
The building shown was not the Bartram Theatre. The overview should show the theatre as demolished rather than closed. Also, PAB shows the theatre as Bartram THEATRE, not THEATER.
I’ve made these comments before but they are worth repeating here. The Orleans was a prefabricated monstrosity from the day it opened! Any qualities this theater may have had were destroyed when the auditorium was split down the middle! Building four auditoriums to the back of a grocery store was just ridiculous. With no real plan, it seems that the prevailing attitude was — let’s shove these wherever they’ll fit — no architect needed! During the demolition, I thought, good riddance you pile of rubble! There are great memories and there were great times, but people create those, not the building.
The overview and PAB both lists this theater with 954 seats. Frank claims the theater seated 1,100 (on one floor). Alterations in 1927 by Chicago theater designer John Eberson, AIA (1875—1954) could be the reason for this discrepancy but clarification is needed. And since this theater opened in 1910, can anyone share anything about its vaudeville days? Also, in what style was this theater designed? Thanks!
By the 1960’s the theater had been converted to retail use and as of January 2014, Titan Industrial Supply Co. occupied the building.
A discrepancy seems to exist regarding the number of seats that the Grand Theater had. The overview states the Grand had 949 seats. Howard believes there were 850 seats. Could this reduction have occurred during Wm. H. Lee’s 1930’s renovation or during another period?
Does anyone know what make and model theater organ was installed in this theater and when?
Today The Woodcraft Industry Inc. occupies this location (624 Moore Street) but somewhere among this mismatch of buildings was the 300 seat Becker Theater, a silent era movie house operated by the Becker Brothers. Louis Fein was the architect and the theater existed from 1905 to 1927. There were alterations to the theater in 1913.
The Lindy was Philadelphia’s first semi-atmospheric theatre. The Circle Theatre, in Frankford, was Philadelphia’s only true atmospheric theatre, although it would not open until the following year, 1929. The Circle was designed by William Harold Lee, AIA (1884—1971) of Philadelphia.
Isn’t this small photo copyrighted?
After closing as a theatre, the building served as a union hall for a time. Today it’s a church. The exact address is 7030-34 Elmwood Avenue — Philadelphia PA 19142. Does anyone have a photo of this theatre when it was open? Any other info? Architect, style, operator? Please share.
The Cheltenham Theatre, seating 1,500, opened with a single-screen in 1961 with Walt Disney’s “The Parent Trap” starring Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. The mammoth pearl-coated movie screen, at 60' x 25', was one of the largest in the world. The projection room was equipped for standard 35mm motion pictures, wide-screen or CinemaScope, and 70mm films. It was also equipped with six-channel stereophonic sound. The Cheltenham Theatre wouldn’t be twinned until its acquisition by Budco Theatres in 1984. AMC Cinemas (now AMC Theatres) acquired Budco and the Cheltenham Theatre on December 31, 1986 and closed it almost immediately. It has since been demolished.
Source: Box Office Magazine — February 12, 1962 — Pages 42-43.
Note: Since the article that this information was extracted from appeared on February 12, 1962, it would not have been possible for the “Grand Opening” of this theater to have occurred on December 31, 1962!
Now I know where to buy a stamp in Roxborough/Manayunk. What I don’t know is what the theater looked like when it was open!
Warren, here is a more specific address: — 2117-7123 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19122. On Germantown Avenue, the theater is at North 6th Street between Diamond Street and West Susquehanna Avenue. The theater opened in 1920 as the Cohooksink Theatre, was renamed the Diamond Theatre (c. 1937), and finally became the Teatro Puerto Rico in the 1960’s.
What does the 1,657-seat Park Theatre, at 31st and Diamond Streets, have to do with the Diamond Street? They’re twenty-five blocks apart! You mention that there was also a 927-seat Diamond Theatre on Germantown Avenue. That is the one and the same as the Diamond Theatre on this Cinema Treasures page!
Would anyone be able to share when this theater closed? After its closure, a Puerto Rican congregation used the space for religious services. Today, the building appears vacant. “FOR SALE” is scribbled on the façade.
266 Lincoln Highway, Fairless Hills, PA 19030 was incorrect. 266 West Lincoln Highway, Langhorne, PA 19047 is correct. Thanks!
On the outside, all traces of the 69th Street Theater have been removed and the building has been returned to its original appearance. On the inside, the theater remains, as the Overflow Theater. Operated by Inner-City Movement, a Christ based non-profit, the theater is a workshop designed to equip youth in evangelism and peer discipleship through theater arts. Live productions are presented. Apartments, offices and retail occupy the rest of the building.
The accompanying map would put the theater at 7926 West Chester Pike (@ Carol Boulevard), nine blocks from its actual location. Someone is in need of geography lessons!
The correct address is: 7000 Terminal Square — Upper Darby PA 19082-2329.
The original architect always receives credit for their work. Any subsequent additions and/or alterations should include a description of that addition and/or alteration, the year and its respective architect. If two or more architects collaborate on the same project, the architects may be credited as to their contributions.
After the theater closed, it became a hall for banquets and weddings — called ADELPHI. The photo referenced by kencmcintyre shows that it was still a banquet hall on 12/27/2007 and that the vertical ADELPHI sign still towered above the marquee. Only later could it have become a church.
And the address is 1453-1457 NORTH 52nd Street.
Doesn’t someone, anyone have something, anything to share about the Lafayette Theater? It did have a 21-year run.
3142-3148 Kensington Avenue is not a corner property. It is the sixth property from Allegheny Avenue — going towards G Street. There was only one Iris Theatre! The photo on the PAB site is not the same Iris Theatre. Also, the site that kencmcintyre references is not the same Iris Theatre either. There is no doubt that the present building is the original theater. A renovation occurred in 1916 but that was only six years after the theater opened. There are no visible clues from the outside as to what was done. Seating could have been reduced by the closing of the balcony but not by 807 seats. Since PAB still lists the theater with 1,407 seats, where did the 600 figure come from?