Showing 4 comments
Information regarding the Frank Talbot and Hoyts connection with the Athenaeum were supplied by Trevor Walters.
The Chelsea Theatre opened on the 10th of June 1960 with “Porgy And Bess” screening in 70mm. The Chelsea Theatre had a seating capacity of 1196 and went on to have long seasons with “Spartacus” “Lawrence Of Arabia”, “ 55 Days At Peking” and “Airport”. Many other top 35mm and 70mm films screened at the Chelsea over the years. The Chelsea Theatre for many years was Greater Union’s number one theatre in Melbourne. The final programme at the Chelsea Theatre was a Clint Eastwood double feature “The Gauntlet” and “The Enforcer” both revivals.
All three cinemas were equipped to screen 70mm film and did so.
Cinema 3 was the smallest of the three theatres.
Submitted by Trevor Walters
The Esquire Theatre screened “The Sound Of Music” for 9 months. It was transferred from the Paris Theatre after 139 weeks. “Tora Tora Tora” never screened at the Esquire Theatre. The seating capacity at this time was close to 1200.