Comments from CStefanic

CStefanic commented about Hollywood Legion Theatre on Nov 17, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Someone should probably update the theatre’s description to include a second outdoor screen used as a Drive-In. It is one of the only two Drive Ins in the country that still shows 35mm film!

CStefanic commented about Los Angeles Theatre on Aug 17, 2020 at 9:05 pm

What is up with the reno’s that are going on right now? I hope nothing too major?

CStefanic commented about Brain Dead Studios on Dec 18, 2019 at 12:08 pm

I’m very interested to see what the new “Fairfax Cinemas” has going for it. The fact that they are opening with a screening of a 35mm print of a newer film, shows us promise.

CStefanic commented about Regent Theatre on Oct 17, 2019 at 10:15 am

The Regent will play host to a SCREENING of a 16mm SCOPE print of Tobe Hooper’s 1981 cult classic “The Funhouse”. It is being presented by @Secretmovieclub, hosted by Craig Hammill. Perhaps if attendance is well, this could lead to more. Stay tuned…

CStefanic commented about Hollywood Legion Theatre on Apr 17, 2019 at 11:01 am

I attended the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival this past weekend (4/11-14) and caught the “Sound of Music” screening in 70mm (I also caught Woody Allen’s “Broadway Danny Rose” from a 35mm print as well). I can say whole heartedly that this new venue is a step above any other in the city (and there are some pretty great ones).

The seating is exquisite. For the large size of the auditorium, the seating is a block of space, with small sections therein divided. There is not a bad seat in the house, either. The screen size isn’t a grand IMAX or any such, but it’s a perfect recollection to the screens of the palaces of the 20s – 40s. Appropriate for any classic film being screened.

Even more stunning is the sound system. The acoustics are outrageously spot on – with every sound and note of music you are supposed to hear, coming through in fine detail.

It’s worthy to note too, that there is a swank bar, billiards room, and poker room located on the level below the theatre, with restrooms that have been restored to their original decor (complete with mouthwash, tall standing urinals, and a big grooming mirror). There is a lobby with a concession stand that serves not only the expected popcorn, candy and fountain drinks, but you can get a packed sandwich, salad, or bags of chips to boot. And all are pretty inexpensive.

The theatre is managed by Bill Steele, who I’ve been acquainted with through my regular attendance at the New Beverly Cinema, and the projectionist is one of the union guys who also projects for the Egyptian and Aero Theatres.

It was a terrific experience, one that maintains it’s own feel and vibe and I certainly hope repertory screenings are a regular thing in the future.

CStefanic commented about Brain Dead Studios on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Agreed with CTCrouch. It’s actually a pretty hip area of Los Angeles, known as the “Fairfax” district due to the street name. It is nearby the famous Regent Fairfax Cinemas which resides just South on the streetcorner of Beverly and Fairfax (closed for awhile now). There is a wildly popular Jewish Deli called Canters.

CStefanic commented about Arcade Theatre on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Great article, Matt! I especially appreciate the photos taken. Very haunting, and yet serene in the visibility that aside from the removal of the seats, the place hasn’t been touched. Hopefully a restoration and career as a movie palace will ensue.

CStefanic commented about Hollywood Legion Theatre on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:03 am

This is extravagant and exciting. From the pictures of the theatre on the organization’s website, it appears to be taking on the classic movie house style.

CStefanic commented about Cinne Arts Theatre on Jan 24, 2019 at 8:25 am

The Cinne Arts Theatre can be seen in the 1977 Robert Altman produced, Robert Benton directed feature “The Late Show”. In a scene where Bill Macy’s character is tracked down by the film’s antagonists. He is seen viewing an adult picture. Both the exterior and interiors are seen.

CStefanic commented about Brain Dead Studios on Nov 12, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Financial problems my foot! It closed because one of it’s owners went through some major publicity surrounding his actions with younger female co-workers and interns which garnered very negative vibes for the place. Almost every person who attended regularly has a story about him or it. To say it suffered financial problems is a bit of a lie. It doesn’t really matter why the Silent went dark but for those who seek the truth, it was not “due mainly to financial troubles”.

CStefanic commented about Grande 4-Plex on Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 pm

Who can I get in contact with about this venue?

CStefanic commented about Fairfax Cinemas on Nov 1, 2018 at 10:25 am

Does anybody know the status of this site? How can we have it registered as a historical landmark?

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about UA Cinema Center - Los Angeles, CA on Oct 30, 2018 at 11:47 am

This is the Mann Festival, not the Westwood Cinema Center. Whoever printed this article and matched the picture needed to check his work.

CStefanic commented about Crest Theatre on Oct 25, 2018 at 2:24 pm

This article goes into the purchase by UCLA.

CStefanic commented about Crest Theatre on Oct 25, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Just heard that UCLA has acquired the building and wants to use it for live events. SHAME. REAL SHAME. They could use it as part of their student programming venue to continue it’s cinematic legacy. DAMN shame.

CStefanic commented about Hayworth Theatre on Oct 15, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Screening movies again! On October 20th the Hayworth will be screening a 16mm film festival. Hopefully this breathes new cinematic life to the once grand house.

CStefanic commented about Westlake Theatre on Oct 15, 2018 at 10:18 am

I drove past the Westlake early this morning and the DOORS WERE OPEN. From what I could see, the ground has been leveled with no seating remaining inside. Lights were all on. and the space is HUGE. I sincerely hope they do right by this theatre.

CStefanic commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Sep 14, 2018 at 4:59 pm

I’m just going to say it – what they did with the Grauman Chinese (It will always be the Grauman Chinese to me) was an abomination.

CStefanic commented about National Theatre on Sep 5, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Re-looking at the photos from the last night. Man, one of the BIGGEST mistakes this city has EVER made: The closure and raze of the National. Devastating, even now.

CStefanic commented about Regency Bruin Theatre on Sep 5, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Does anyone know if this palace can still project film?

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about Southroads Cinema-Final Days (1993) on Aug 24, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Very haunting. Thank you for posting. I saw “Jurassic Park” there in it’s final days. One of my favorite cinema memories.

CStefanic commented about Landmark Westwood Theatre on Aug 15, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I saw a few films there. Nightcrawler and Star Trek into Darkness among them. I like this little venue. They should do more with it – it would be a great place to show rep cinema. They took out their 35mm projectors though. Not too late to get them back!

CStefanic commented about Crest Theatre on Aug 15, 2018 at 4:17 pm

There is really a market for revival houses and single screen houses these days. The other Westwood theatres, the Fox Village, the Fox Bruin, are successful, thriving houses showing modern releases and occasional rep choices. The Billy Wilder also fares very well nearby at the Hammer Museum. The Crest and the Mann Festival would do right to re-open under these same standards.

CStefanic commented about Music Hall 3 on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:42 am

I quite agree. Every time I have been by the Music Hall or even attended a rare screening there, the auditoriums are almost bare. I heard that Sharon Stone and Faye Dunaway have frequented the theater, but never see them there.

CStefanic commented about Saban Theatre on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:38 am

I’m curious as to what exactly is going on with the Saban these days. It’s just down the street from me, and I pass it frequently when driving, but there never seems to be anything happening there. It just sits there, GRAND, magnificent.