Comments from grandcameo

grandcameo commented about SilverCity Windsor on Jan 25, 2022 at 10:15 am

The landlord reports they’ve been informed by Cineplex that SilverCity Windsor is now permanently closed.

They also report Cineplex has started stripping the building, including some property like seats which they feel belongs to them, the landlord.

They’ve asked Cineplex to halt this stripping process until they can have a discussion but will file legal action to block it if necessary.

grandcameo commented about SilverCity Windsor on Jan 12, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Cineplex announced today they’re closing SilverCity Windsor— they won’t renew the lease which supposedly expires at the end of the year.

grandcameo commented about Cineplex Cinemas Vaughan on Sep 24, 2021 at 4:30 pm

According to testimony in the Cineworld/Cineplex failed takeover lawsuit, Cineplex and RioCan are working on a plan to downsize and rebuild this location.

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Cineplex Cinemas Esplanade on Aug 26, 2021 at 5:02 am

“1 person dead after building partially collapses at North Vancouver worksite”

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Cineplex Odeon Orion Gate Cinemas on Jul 8, 2021 at 5:49 am

It’s very weird to me that this cinema has the circuit board carpet found in the Famous Players Colossus theatres… Famous was known for having custom carpet made, but I guess this was an off-the-shelf option if the competition had it?

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Famous Players Kildonan Place Cinemas on May 30, 2021 at 9:20 am

Don’t think they forgot, they just cheaped out which is pretty standard fare for Cineplex. I miss Famous Players.

Did you notice there’s a dead pigeon hanging on the left?

grandcameo commented about Garry Theatre on May 23, 2021 at 8:59 am

Landmark Cinemas have announced The Garry is permanently closed as of May 19th, 2021.

grandcameo commented about Amboy Multiplex Cinemas on Apr 10, 2021 at 10:12 am

My favourite urban explorers (urbex), The Proper People, posted a video tour on YouTube yesterday.

grandcameo commented about Globe Cinema on Oct 11, 2020 at 9:23 am

I was wrong about the seats being swapped.

Cinema 1 had blue seats with a green/teal theme on the marquee/doors, cinema 2 had red seats and a red theme, while cinema 3 had grey-green seats with a blue theme.

You can see so in this news video from opening day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsNPfL2EUv8

I wonder if there was some kind of mix-up with the seats though? You would think since the red seats went in the red auditorium, then they should’ve had the blue seats in the Bijou (#3)?

grandcameo commented about Cinema City Northgate on Aug 4, 2020 at 5:29 am

According to this, the mall has terminated the lease, changed the locks, and booted Cineplex as a tenant. Very interesting, especially considering Cineplex used to own 50 per cent of the mall.

grandcameo commented about Landmark Pen Centre on Jun 25, 2016 at 10:27 am

I believe this was the first theatre opened under the SilverCity banner.

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Cineplex Cinemas Esplanade on May 29, 2015 at 10:39 am

I love these Famous Players 1980’s era “streetscape theatres.” Glad to see this one is still up and running.

grandcameo commented about SilverCity St. Vital on May 29, 2015 at 10:29 am

Does anyone have any information on the original St. Vital 6- pics, any details about what you remember?

grandcameo commented about Shamrock Drive-In on May 29, 2015 at 5:25 am

Announced it will not “fully open” this summer because of a lack of 35mm prints.

grandcameo commented about Garrick Centre on Apr 14, 2015 at 11:57 am

Besides cinema 3 being converted to a swimming pool with a small spiral water slide, the theatre is mostly in tact from when it was a movie house. New front ends were built in all three rooms to accommodate stages for lectures, bands, and other presentations. Cinemas 1 and 2 had balconies at the back and sloped in the front. You accessed both sections from the entrance in the middle, centre of the auditorium. All the original seats are still there, with Cinema 2’s front end seats on the sloped floor removed for general admission concerts.

The original twin Garrick building was built and opened in 1968. According to my records, it was built from the same steel frame as the original single-screen Garrick that opened in 1928. That original Garrick had a similar layout.

Really miss seeing movies here.

grandcameo commented about Globe Cinema on Jan 5, 2015 at 5:50 am

This should now be changed to closed.

Seating counts under Famous Players: Alto (#1) 532 Rio (#2) 371 Bijou (#3) 297

Not sure what Landmark’s seating counts were, but it looks like they swapped seats in the Alto and Bijou when they took over and increased legroom.

grandcameo commented about Odeon Drive-In on Nov 29, 2014 at 7:30 am

Unfortunately, this listing should now read ‘demolished.’

grandcameo commented about Garrick Centre on Aug 29, 2010 at 9:08 am

If anyone has any interior shots from over the years, please contact me. I’m trying to archive as much as I can about it.

Any photos in particular of the twin auditoriums or the round concession stand closer to #1 would be great!

grandcameo commented about Lido Theatre on Dec 30, 2006 at 7:41 pm

A beautiful little theatre. I have never been there but would love to check it out. Its gorgeous.

Here’s a link, with some great pics under the “History” tab:

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Cinema advertising breaks new barriers on Dec 28, 2006 at 9:45 am

GREAT!

Let’s encourage people to use cell phones in auditoriums!

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Metropolitan Entertainment Centre on Jul 28, 2006 at 6:06 pm

The web address for that article:

Scary to think that Magnifico thinks, word-for-word: “if someone wants to tear it down to put an office building up, we would look at that, too.”

The city’s had it sitting around on their “to-do list”… why not just spring the $5 million to restore it and make it a fantastic venue? $5 million is nothing compared to what the city usually spends on anything, and that way they could save the Met and maybe b8ulldoze the Centennial Concert Hall (since it has only stood sincethe 1970s). Don’t chastise me, but I hope you kind of understand what I mean.

I can’t see what I’m typing right now because there’s no side arrow to allow me to scroll down in this text box, so please bear with me.

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Metropolitan Entertainment Centre on Jul 28, 2006 at 6:01 pm

This is from CBC dated July 4:

Future of Winnipeg’s Met theatre uncertain
Last Updated Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:05:42 EDT
CBC News

Developers have abandoned a plan to convert the old Metropolitan Theatre into a rock ‘n’ roll museum, putting the future of the downtown Winnipeg theatre on shaky ground.

The downtown development agency, CentreVenture, had been working with the idea of restoring the 87-year-old heritage building and transforming it into a non-profit museum that would showcase Canadian rock stars.

But a formal proposal expected from a group of Winnipeg business people didn’t materialize.

A spokesperson for CentreVenture said this week that the proposal is not going ahead in its current form.

Coun. Franco Magnifico, who chairs the city’s downtown development committee, told CBC News there is still considerable interest in the old Met.

“I’d love to preserve if, if we can in an economical and efficient manner. On the other hand, I don’t want to see it sit vacant for 20 years because it has some historical value,” Magnifico said.

“We have great historical buildings in Winnipeg, and we have maintained a lot of them, and we try and preserve whatever we can. It doesn’t mean you can save them all,” he added.

“Down the road, I guess if there is no other option, if someone wants to tear it down to put an office building up, we would look at that, too. But that hasn’t come to the table. We would love to save that building.”

Only theatre left of its kind

Magnifico plans to meet with the business group that was planning to submit the hall of fame proposal to determine if anything can be done to revive the plan for the national historic site.

“Maybe the stumbling block we are talking about isn’t as fantastic as stopping the project entirely,” he said.

“I don’t know why they pulled out the way they did … I just want to find out.”

Meanwhile, CentreVenture is again calling for development proposals for the Met, located on Donald Street across from the new MTS Centre.

The neo-classical style Met is the only theatre of its kind remaining in Winnipeg in its original form; other similar theatres, such as the Capitol, have been demolished or renovated.

The 24,000-square-foot building has twin staircases leading to a large mezzanine level, as well as original mirrors, plasterwork and wall fixtures.

The domed plaster ceiling and massive chandelier still hang in the 2,500-seat auditorium, although CentreVenture officials note “serious plaster problems” have been discovered.

The building has been mostly unused for almost 20 years, although it has been heated. CentreVenture admits it would require “significant work” to bring the building up to code.

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Metropolitan Entertainment Centre on Jul 25, 2006 at 5:39 pm

Burt wasn’t involved… he’s just had business dealings with them all in the past, so it was more to boost his ego, because, he’s only, like, Winnipeg’s biggest rock star! rolls eyes.

grandcameo commented about Capitol Theatre on Jul 24, 2006 at 7:43 pm

I can’t wait to see more of your pictures of the Capitol. I think it was much nier than the met, even after it was split, although, the Met has a beautiful facade.

If only the Capitol’s guts could be in the Met’s shell.

And, don’t chastise me, but I love the Met too, its just that I think the Capitol was much, much more beautiful and I think they went more for saving the Met because it was never split. And I can’t help but wonder what happened to the Cap’s chandelier (anyone have pictures of it?) or why the Met was never hacked up?

grandcameo
grandcameo commented about Metropolitan Entertainment Centre on Jul 16, 2006 at 9:55 am

Apparently CentreVenture has posted another call for proposals because most of the investors in the museum pulled out.

Didn’t the Colony have a huge staircase almost the width of the building? (I have dial-up, so I’m anxiously awaiting the pictures to load).

Oh, and IMHO, that woman who ran FOM completely ran the group into the ground.