Photos favorited by kinospoter

  • <p>Source: Box Office August 7, 1967</p>
  • <p>1937 was the year Eugene Mollo decided to bring his concept of cinema interiors to a more modern approach. The Odeon North Watford and Gaumont Carshalton were two of the first cinemas included, above is an interior photograph of the Odeon auditorium and screen curtains designed by Mollo. Both of these new cinemas had followed a controversial article written by Mollo in January 1937 entitled ‘Conception of Cinema Interiors’ which stated
              that lighting up the cinema interior by hanging a sort of roundabout of twisted metal and glass is not aesthetically desirable. The Odeon North Watford opened its doors on 27th November 1937 focusing attention towards the screen with all lighting concealed. Of course
              such a statement made publicly must have upset some lighting manufactures such as Pride Ltd of Clapham who specialised in making what Mollo disliked. However, the tide was turning with others following Mollo’s lead into the boom year of 1938.</p>
              <p>Ron Knee</p>
  • <p>This rare perspective watercolour by Eugene Mollo was published in ‘The Cinema’ January 1937 showing his design
              for a new cinema auditorium to be in association with the
              Holophane automated pre-selective colour control panel.</p>
              <p>Ron Knee</p>
  • <p>Plaza Cinema 12 Mitchell Street, Bendigo, VIC - Glass theatre house slide</p>
              <h1>Glass theatre house slide</h1>
              <p>Image - Courtesy Lost Bendigo & District web site.</p>
              <p>Contributed by Greg Lynch - <script type="text/javascript">
              /* <![CDATA[ */
              function hivelogic_enkoder(){var kode=
              ;var i,c,x;while(eval(kode));}hivelogic_enkoder();
              /* ]]> */
  • <p>The old fashioned and very narrow proscenium of the Picture House was, in 1954,  most unsuitable for the new innovation, CinemaScope;  ABC’s answer to the problem can be seen here.</p>
              <p>Even at that time, ABC were on the lookout for an alternative venue and they had considered the Ritz, the town’s largest cinema.  Company Architect, C J Foster, however, did not recommend purchase following the discovery a substantial crack in one of the side elevations.  This did not deter Rank/CMA from adding the Ritz to its acquisitions when it became the ‘Odeon’, thus providing them with a second venue in Doncaster, the other being the nearby Gaumont.</p>
              <p>ABC did eventually replace the busy, but very old style, Picture House with the new build stadium plan ABC in 1967.</p>
  • <p>Plaza Cinema 12 Mitchell Street, Bendigo, VIC - Glass theatre house slide</p>
              <h1>Glass theatre house slide</h1>
              <p>Image - Courtesy Lost Bendigo & District web site.</p>
              <p>Contributed by Greg Lynch - <script type="text/javascript">
              /* <![CDATA[ */
              function hivelogic_enkoder(){var kode=
              ;var i,c,x;while(eval(kode));}hivelogic_enkoder();
              /* ]]> */
  • <p>THE OPENING OF REGENT THEATRE GUILDFORD ( Western Australia ) UNDER THE HEADING “GUILDFORD’S PROGRESS”… Source : The Swan Express (Midland Junction, WA : Fri 12 Mar 1926 - Despite the rain on Tuesday evening  ( 8th March 1926 )  the seating accommodated for 700 at the Regent Theatre Guildford, which was almost filled. Also, it was not a children’s night, and that fact alone would affect any audience. The builders had been busy right up to the last minute, and the scaffolding, casks, planks, etc. were piled on the adjourning land. The theatre is a handsome trick structure of imposing appearance, brilliantly lighted by large globes under the awning. The entrance is flanked by two lock-up shops, one already being open for business. Carpeted stairs lead from the spacious entrance to the stalls, from which the pictures may be viewed in comfort. On the floor of the hall long padded forms give comfort to patrons, and a few rows of chairs in front are available for restless children. The advantages of the ventilating arrangements will be appreciated in the hot weather, and the windows are large and well arranged. The top windows open at a central pivot, and on each side all are connected by an iron shaft, which is operated by a rope on a pulley. One pull on the rope therefore opens or shuts all the windows. The lower windows are balanced by sash-weights, and are raised or lowered by means of a long rod. The screen is artistically bordered and tilted. The hall is so well proportioned that its capacity may be under-estimated, but the attractive appearance of white walls and polished jarrah, together with symmetrical designs of walls, ceilings, etc, will please all. The orchestral accompaniment was sympathetic with the themes pictured, and the music was delightful through out. Miss Netta Huey was the pianist and conductor, and her sisters Bernice and Viola performed with violin and banjo respectively. The pictures were clearly shown, and were immensely enjoyed….3D….A novelty featurette was that of pictures from which the characters came right out to the audience - Known at the time as Stereoscopiks.  One almost winced when the lariat swung near one’s head, or a missile came straight for one’s eye. During the showing of these the audience wore spectacles with blue and red lenses. “The Dark Angel” ( The main feature, starring Ronald Colman & Vilma Bánky - A silent film ) was a picture of exceptional interest and charm. During the interval, Hon. W. D. Johnson, M.L.A., said he was pleased to be present on the unique occasion of the opening of the new picture hall which was as good as any in the metropolitan area, and reflected great credit on Mr. Hall’s enterprise. The slope of the floor and tilt of the screen made the pictures more effective. The
              building, of which the ventilation was a special feature, was a credit to the architect and builder, and one of which Guildford was proud. He congratulated Mr. Hall on his expenditure of £5000, and hoped the enterprise would be fully rewarded. Mr. Hall had had visions of better accommodation during the eight years he had been showing pictures in Guildford at the Vaudeville theatre. They were grateful to him for the congenial conditions of the new hall, and trusted that the public would make adequate response. He officially declared the Regent Theatre open. The Mayor of Guildford (Mr. E. A. Evans) thanked Mr. Johnson for having declared the hall open, and expressed full appreciation of Mr. Hall’s enterprise. They would remember in the past Mr. Hall’s ready assistance to Red Cross work, and prompt response to any call on behalf of charities. For the good work in the past, charitable actions,
              and for the provision of an excellent picture house they were deeply indebted to Mr. Geo. Hall. The community spirit was good for Guildford, as well as the whole of Australia, and folk should extend their patronage to the picture hall in Guildford, where it was well deserved. The vote of thanks was carried by acclamation. Mr. Johnson expressed his pleasure at the vote of thanks by the Mayor and its hearty support. Mr. Hall desired to express appreciation of the good work, of the architects and builders. The hall was quite modern and all would appreciate its special conveniences.
              (Applause.) During the interval some friends of Mr. Hall partook of light refreshments, and toasted the health of the proprietor, wishing him good success in the venture - End…ADDITIONAL COMMENT - The Regent Theatre Architect was Samuel Rosenthal. The theatre was commissioned by George Hall Esq. as a low budget operation in times of relative economic hardship. The vestibule was small and the theatre was also to be used as a hall, so there was provision for an adequate platform stage. It has unadorned geometric forms which are shown to advantage in the Balustrading on the balcony. The facade has an original pediment shape, rendered relief and decorative stucco detailing…George Hall had previously operated The Vaudeville theatre Guildford which he closed prior to the opening of The new Regent Theatre….The Dark Angel (1925) is a silent drama film, based on the play The Dark Angel, a Play of Yesterday and To-day by H. B. Trevelyan, released by First National Pictures, Produced by Samuel Goldwyn and starring Ronald Colman, Vilma Bánky, and Wyndham Standing. Note - This is now considered a lost film … Supplied by Greg Lynch - <script type="text/javascript">
              /* <![CDATA[ */
              function hivelogic_enkoder(){var kode=
              ;var i,c,x;while(eval(kode));}hivelogic_enkoder();
              /* ]]> */
  • <p>Plaza Cinema 12 Mitchell Street, Bendigo, VIC - 1974</p>
              <p>Photo - Lost Bendigo & District</p>
              <p>The Plaza Cinema opened on 28th December 1934 with Bing Crosby in “We’re Not Dressing” and Shirley Temple in “Little Miss Marker”. It was the first theatre to be designed by architectural firm Cowper, Murphy & Appleford. It was independently operated, and was closed on 20th December 1975 with Bruce Lee in “Fist of Fury” & “The Chinese Connection” - Notes by Ken Roe</p>
              <p>Contributed by Greg Lynch - <script type="text/javascript">
              /* <![CDATA[ */
              function hivelogic_enkoder(){var kode=
              ;var i,c,x;while(eval(kode));}hivelogic_enkoder();
              /* ]]> */
  • <p>November 26, 1958</p>
  • <p>60th Anniversary of United States Premiere on May 8th, 1962</p>
  • <p>At Regular Prices! (May 2nd, 1956)</p>
  • <p>L.A. premiere roadshow screening of Cleopatra</p>
              <p>presented in 70mm TODD A O</p>
  • <p>Source: boxoffice January 18, 1965</p>
  • <p>Kinemacolour Theatre decorative glass sign</p>
  • <p>Rialto Theatre, Broadway, New York in 1916 - Stage and Orchestra</p>
  • <p>Rialto Theatre, Broadway, New York in 1916 - Auditorium</p>
  • <p>New tech at the Rialto with a Baird multi-focusing spotlight in 1916.</p>
  • <p>Awesome front by the Rialto for Harold Lloyd’s “Feet First” in 1930.</p>
  • <p>Entrance with “Dishonored” (March, 1931)</p>
  • <p>One of Val Lewton’s classy horror films from the forties.  This film ran in May of 1945.</p>
  • <p>Circa 1964 Ektachrome photo credit Gerry Cranham.</p>