Comments from RogerA

RogerA commented about Camelot Theatres on Apr 27, 2022 at 9:55 am

I just did a tec service call for house One. They are running three films in 70mm the first weekend in May. This is one of the best 70mm theaters I have seen. Theater number one has two Norelco AA 35/70 projectors. The 70mm picture is wall to wall.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Mar 31, 2022 at 8:08 am

The Chinese Theater has landmark status I doubt they will tear it down to build housing. Everything around it maybe.

RogerA commented about Egyptian Theatre on Nov 24, 2021 at 11:42 am

If a theater agreed to run a film for a certain length of time that theater was committed. Star Wars was booked for only a few weeks at the Chinese and because of a previous booking of another film it was moved to another theater so that another film could play the Chinese. Once the run of that film was done Star Wars was put back at the Chinese for a long run. The theater did not accept any more bookings until Star Wars was played out. For Cinerama theaters there might not have been any product to put in theaters like the Warner. But if the theater agreed to run a film for a certain length of time they did even if was at a loss.

Ben Sack a theater owner in Boston booked a turkey. When he couldn’t get out of running it he let people in for free and started a long running feud with the producer.

RogerA commented about Beacon Hill Theatre on May 31, 2021 at 4:37 pm

I stand corrected if it was 68 2001 would have been running at the Boston Cinerama Theater but it did run at the Astor probably right after the Cinerama run.

RogerA commented about Beacon Hill Theatre on May 31, 2021 at 4:16 pm

lufweg 2001 ran at the Astor in 70mm probably in 68 and from your description it sounds like you were at the Astor when you saw it. That was right before Sack started block booking everything released and the Astor couldn’t get first run films.

RogerA commented about AMC Burbank 16 on May 30, 2021 at 10:44 am

Tenet 70mm ran at the Legion Theater in Hollywood and it looked great it was a brand new print never run before. The people involved spent a great deal of money on this theater and manage to get film prints in 35mm and 70mm. Tonight Dunkirk in 70mm.

They also run a small drive-in theater the first ever in Hollywood and the only drive-in in California that can run film.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on May 19, 2021 at 6:11 am

Looks like they are going to run a 70mm print of Tenet at the Legion Theater in Hollywood.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Apr 14, 2021 at 9:01 am

The theater is protected as a Landmark I believe

And it can’t mysteriously catch fire and burn down like the old days

So it will probably be around for a while

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 20, 2020 at 9:17 am

To bigjoe

This is the reason why versions of these movies are lost. People doing restoration work are not familiar with practices and standards of years past.

Back in the 1970’s I saw an original roadshow print of My Fair Lady in New York City in one of those old barns of a theater with a huge screen. The projectionist was very friendly he let me hang out in the projection room and I spent quite a bit of time talking to him. There were a lot of film cans as he had multiple prints and different versions. He said “The exchange sent me all the 70mm prints they had and just to pick out the best ones to run.” The print he chose of MY Fair Lady was probably the backup print that had never been run. He had a version of South Pacific with Spanish sub titles burned in. I commented on how big the theater screen was and he replied “You should have seen it before they reduced the size. It used to be bigger.” The theater had Century JJ projectors with 13.6 carbon arc and he was running the arc at 200 amps. (yes I know the rated current was 160 ) The picture was clear and bright I could count the threads per inch in Rex Harrison’s tweed coat. I was impressed.

The theater was at the time called The Strand and was the New York City Cinerama theater. It was the Broadway Theater where they ran the roadshow of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

For 50 years I have worked on the equipment in these theaters. You pick up a thing or two in fifty years.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 19, 2020 at 6:08 pm

I am waiting for you to prove what I am writing to be wrong.

Why bother to post here just to have some studio type to tell me I am wrong when I have seen release prints off the original negative.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 19, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Well waiting for and answer where is that 30FPS Todd-AO negative THAT IS IN PERFECT CONDITION?

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 19, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Prints were, and are, made from the original negative they are called show prints. There was also an answer print that is made off the negative.

Fox has a print of Sound of Music made off the original negative on Kodak Vision 3 stock and it looks incredible.

The original camera negative for Days of Heaven was used to make liquid gate blow up prints 35mm to 70mm

That camera internegative is probably camera negative not internegative.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 19, 2020 at 10:38 am

Citizen Kane was filmed on nitrate stock very flammable and is prone to spontaneous combustion unless kept cold or frozen. So if any of the films in the vault went up it consumed all that was in that small room. There are still vaults filled with nitrate.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 19, 2020 at 8:44 am

The studios are well know for destroying or losing original source material such as camera negative and original sound. Now and then someone saves footage from being destroyed but many times after a long run the general release version is the only thing left. The roadshow prints are either damaged, lost or destroyed. Fotokem has made new prints from the original negative of many 70mm films. Some of those films are complete. In some cases the negatives were in fair condition in other cases not. If a lot of copies were made off the original negative then that negative might be in rough shape or just unusable. Often times the camera negative survives but the sound doesn’t.

The camera negative for the 30FPS version of Around the World in Eighty Days is no longer available but the 24FPS negative survived. So the roadshow version of that movie is not available. The 30FPS negative of Around the World in Eighty Days was just worn out and damaged after making release prints off the original negative. In many cases the negative gets worn out from making multiple release prints. Usually there is an internegative or interpositive leaving a copy that can be used to make a print. For most movies shot on film there were prints made directly from the original negative and these are much better quality than a print made off an internegative.

Most Roadshow prints were made directly from the original camera negative and in the case of a popular movie that required multiple prints that negative was badly worn by the end of the roadshow run. If a reel of a print was damaged during the run a replacement had to be struck. New roadshow prints had to be struck to replace worn out prints. Again original negatives took a beating.

Until they closed it the film exchange in Boston had a full roadshow print of Around the World but it was badly faded. My guess is it was cut up with a bandsaw and sent to the recycler.

Collectors have some film that is thought to be lost.

It was common practice to recycle old film negative that was no longer needed and prints that were old. So as a result only a small percentage of original source material survives. Fox destroyed millions of feet of nitrate not wanting to store it. Universal lost original negative in several fires over the years. Many times in the past a film vault loaded with nitrate would catch fire and burn and this was common at many studios. The original negative for Citizen Kane burned but there were high quality copies in good condition.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 17, 2020 at 5:53 pm

to bigjoe59; screen size, and flat or curved is mostly personal preference as is picture luminance. There are standards of course but that doesn’t mean one pays close attention to the standard. As for picture size it is how far away you are from the screen. An 80" screen isn’t too overwhelming if your twelve to twenty feet away. Back when I had a film screening room in my basement the screen was a lot bigger than 80" and brighter that 18FL. I’m not sure what would cause eye fatigue or vision problems. Dolby Vision is really bright a lot more light than has ever been used before. But as long as you can get at least 1.5 times as far from the screen as it is wide you should be fine.

Again it is personal taste I can sit in the front row at the Dome for HTWWW now that is a little overwhelming.

The brightness on a video monitor or a TV can be adjusted If you get a video projector and a good sound system you can adjust the picture size as well as the brightness. 7.1 and 5.1 sound systems are common. I have a 7.1 sound system sitting in storage that I am wondering what to do with. I have a computer with a 7.1 sound card. That same computer has multiple video outputs so I can have a combination of monitors and projectors.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 17, 2020 at 3:22 pm

There will be theaters private and public. The Director’s Guild and The Academy just spent a lot of money upgrading and in new construction. The Legion on Highland in Hollywood is running film and digital and this is a new install. The Egyptian is getting a redo. So these sites and others are going to be around for a while just for the true movie buffs.

Meanwhile all the real money, the general public, have purchased big screen televisions or set up their own home theater and are happy with that. There is no shortage of product for a home theater. I’m sure the Pirates love day and date release.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 16, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Historic monument? You are referring to landmark status the Chinese has that inside and out yes they can do only part of the building. So not sure what the status is of the Dome but I doubt its in danger.

That doesn’t mean they have to run things like 2001 in 70mm or How the West Was Won in 3 strip Cinerama. I can see the Dome being used for special screenings and private rentals.

As for all the box cinemas built in the last two decades they are all in danger. AMC is all but bankrupt others are looking at buying some of their sites. A large percentage of the cinema going audience has been lost. Executives at the studios have been wanting to do day and date release for years not caring that it will damage the theaters. Now they are running to day and date like rats to peanut butter.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 15, 2020 at 8:25 am

Thanks for your response not sure how many people check this site any more as it seems the sun is setting on the movies and the theaters that show them.

I don’t think the Dome is in danger of being torn down anytime soon but the site is used less and less as time goes on. Before the pandemic and the lock-downs the Dome was closed more than it was open for business.

But cinema fans should check out the people at the Legion in Hollywood. The Legion Theater is state of the art. They turned the parking lot into a drive-in theater; the first drive-in in Hollywood.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Dec 11, 2020 at 4:49 pm

to bigjoe59

Filmmakers tweak their films that’s what they do and many times they tweak using audience reactions in the case of IAMMMMW that was done during the roadshow. Now its done with a test audience.

After watching this monster time and time again I can see the desire to trim it as it runs a bit long even now. But for the sake of history I am all for preservation so I am glad to have what we there is.

I was at the 25th anniversary showing of MMMMW premier night back years ago and the only print available was a 35mm optical that was borrowed from one on the archives. It wasn’t in the best of shape but it was better than the print they ran for the public for the week following that premier night. For the public in the Cinerama Dome they ran a mono optical TV print. Yes a pan and scan print of a Ultra-Panavision film.

During intermission someone asked me if it was worth saving the negatives and original elements from these old films. My reply was for the sake of history save as much as possible in it original form.

There are Ultra-Panavision 70mm prints of MMMMW in circulation and they run it at the Dome every once and a while.

I bought a Kubrick fan I knew a ticket for the new restoration of 2001 when it played in 70mm at the Dome. I bought seat row BB center so he sat in the Cinerama Zone and was just blown away.

Many people who saw the original roadshow of MMMMW remember it fondly because it was an event. Hard ticket and only at a Cinerama theater. Of course eventually it ran in neighborhood theaters but many people went to see the roadshow presentation and they just loved seeing all those celebrities on the Cinerama screen.

RogerA commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 3, 2020 at 9:05 am

Great story

That was back when the Chinese had carbon arcs three Norelco’s in the main booth and they could go from 35 to 70 mm on a changeover and it was impressive. To go from a small 1:85 picture for the trailers in mono to a full Todd-AO picture with six channels of a great six channel mix an experience that only comes once in a while

RogerA commented about Porgy And Bess - Astor on Nov 16, 2019 at 8:17 am

The first film in Todd-AO run on the newly installed DP-70’s

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Nov 16, 2019 at 8:10 am

On second look thats the lower projection room but those are Century projectors. Those lamps look like the ones that were on the DP70’s they are the same exact lamps

RogerA commented about Astor Theatre on Nov 16, 2019 at 8:05 am

Its so funny someone posted a picture of what may have been the old booth. Captioned: Another look at the projection booth at the Astor here in 1959 with 70mm Norelco projectors with Ashcraft lamps. The picture shows two 35mm Century projectors with magnetic sound for CinemaScope. The DP70’s were installed in 1960 and located in a new projection room.

RogerA
RogerA commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Oct 27, 2019 at 4:57 pm

The film print looks great especially if you sit in the Cinerama zone I didn’t get to go see this showing a lot of my friends did. I saw a previous showing of the film version and knew there a lot of people out there who wanted to see it.