Coconut Grove Playhouse
3506 Main Highway,
3 people favorited this theater
Coconut Grove Playhouse (Official)
Firms: Kiehnel & Elliott
Styles: Mediterranean Revival
Previous Names: Coconut Grove Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jan 16, 2008 — Miami's closed Coconut Grove planning to reopen
The 1,500-seat Coconut Grove Theatre was originally built as a majestic movie palace in 1926 and opened on January 1, 1927 with Adolphe Menjou in “Sorrows of Satan”. It was closed during the Depression, reopened on October 3, 1930 with Ginger Rogers in “Queen High” & Harry Gribbon in “A Hollywood Star”. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ. It was closed during World War II and following a remodel to the plans of architect Alfred Browning Parker, it reopened as the Coconut Grove Playhouse on June 3, 1956 as a performing arts center with Samuel Beckett’s play “Waiting for Godot”. The theatre later converted to two stages for live theatre use.
The theatre closed in April of 2006 and its future is uncertain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.