Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse
300 Brevard Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Cocoa Village Playhouse (Official)
Architects: P. Thornton Marye
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Aladdin Theatre, State Theatre, Fine Arts Cinema
The Aladdin Theatre opened on August 18, 1924 with Rudolph Valentino in “Monsieur Beaucaire”. It was equipped with a Barton 2 manual organ. On December 5, 1936 it was renamed State Theatre and was operated by E.J. Sparks, a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures Inc. By 1953 it was operated by the Talgar Theatre Company chain. It was closed by 1956. On October 29, 1965 it reopened as the Fine Arts Cinema operated by Kent Theatres Inc., which operated into the 1970’s.
Several owners and several decades later, the building was purchased by the City of Cocoa and renamed the Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse. The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The theatre was used as a location when it was named Key West Strand Theatre for the 1993 movie “Matinee” starring John Goodman.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.