34 West Jefferson Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Anderson Theater Company
Previous Names: Masonic Temple
Located on Jefferson Avenue at Washington Street in downtown Naperville, the Masonic Temple opened in 1916. The Masons met on the second floor of the building, and rented out the first floor as a movie house. The theater closed in 1931, and for four years, the main floor was used for retail.
In 1935, the building became the Naper Theater, seating 480, given a marquee and showing first-run movies. In 1950, the Naper was remodeled, with a new lobby, foyer area, and sound system. Seating was also increased to 603. A couple years later, the theater’s old screen was replaced by a CinemaScope screen. The Naper operated until 1977, when competition from newer multiplexes, such as the Ogden 6, helped drive the old single-screen movie house out of business.
In 1979, the former Naper was converted to an appliance store, and today houses Mary’s Antique Mall.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.