750 Chancellor Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Roxe Theatre, Roxy Theatre, Rex Theatre
Opened by the Bratter-Pollak circuit on September 25, 1928 as either Roxe Theatre or Roxy Theatre. It was decorated in an Atmospheric old English style. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual, 7 ranks organ. There were lawsuits taken out by Sam (Roxy) Rothafel over the use of that name and in 1929 it was settled and the theatre was renamed Rex Theatre. On August 11, 1930 it was taken over by RKO. It was a neighborhood house which had constant trouble with poor acoustics. Taken over in the early-1950’s by Eddie Steinberg who solved the sound problems and corrected some poor sight-lines. It was renamed Chancellor Theatre remained successful well into the 1970’s when changing demographics and booking policies spelled the end of a great theatre.
The theatre served a brief spell as a porno house before closing for good and been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.