Jax Jr. Cinema
32 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Jax Jr. Cinemas (Official)
Previously operated by: Inter-State Amusement Co.
Architects: W. Chester Browne
Firms: W. Chester Browne Associates
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Jax Jr. Cinema is the third theatre to occupy this site. The two previous theatres, both named the Premier Theatre (see listing on Cinema Treasures) both succumbed to fire, the last being in 1949.
After losing two theatres to fires, Jack Eames was determined to build a “fireproof” structure. Construction began on the Jax Jr. Cinema building in 1950, and it opened on March 17, 1951 with Fred Astaire in “Royal Wedding”. It was designed by W. Chester Browne Associates, it’s integral stainless steel ticket booth and blonde entry doors typify the theatre’s Streamline Moderne style. Its 900 seats were located all on a single floor.
In 1975, the Jax Jr. Cinema hosted the world premiere of “Two” – later titled “Captive”. It had been filmed on location in Littleton. In 1982, the Jax Jr. Cinema closed briefly with its beautiful marquee showing the signage: “We’re Having Twins”. After re-opening the newly twinned theatre boasted two screens with just under 300 seats in each auditorium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.