180-190 N. Dearborn Street,
16 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Selwyn Theatre, Todd's Cinestage, Dearborn Cinemas
News About This Theater
- Apr 1, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Dec 9, 2012 — Happy 50th, “Lawrence of Arabia”
- Sep 15, 2008 — Remembering Cinerama
- Sep 13, 2008 — Post Monday 9/15 Please -- Remembering Cinerama
The Selwyn Theatre was designed in 1922 by C. Howard Crane (who also designed the adjacent Harris Theatre) for theatrical producers Sam Harris and Edgar Selwyn. It was done in English Georgian style, whereas Crane designed the Harris in Italian Renaissance style. Among those to appear on stage at the Selwyn and Harris Theatres included Ethel Barrymore, Charles Laughton, Helen Hayes, and Mae West.
Mike Todd, of Todd-AO sound system fame, purchased the former Selwyn Theatre, after it closed as a legitimate playhouse, and converted it into the first permanent Todd-AO showplace in Chicago, opening on April 4, 1957 as Todd’s Cinestage with “Around the World in 80 Days”. (Todd also acquired the Harris Theatre, which was renamed for Todd himself). In fact, the entire stage was removed for the transformation to Todd-AO.
The theatre was also known unofficially as owner Mike Todd’s laboratory, where he experimented with many different aspects of Todd-AO. The theatre also used the legendary Smell-O-Vision process and the Smell-O-Vision machine was still in the basement when the building was demolished.
After the road show days, Great States Theatres(later Plitt Theatres) ran the Cinestage as an adult theatre and a flat screen was installed in front of the original Todd-AO strip screen for this purpose. Pornographic films were shown at the Cinestage from August 28, 1970, beginning with “Trader Horne-” and it was an adult cinema for about 10 years.
Following this, M & R Theatres tried unsuccessfully to revive the Cinestage and it was renamed Dearborn Cinemas from December 20, 1985, but this attempt was short-lived and the buildings were ultimately abandoned. Interestingly, the building was owned by Todd’s widow, Liz Taylor at the time. The city finally bought it from the actress, with plans to build a performing arts center on the same location.
Just before its demise, Cinema Treasures contributor Mark Gulbrandsen snuck into the theatre and he reports it was in pretty poor shape overall. The strip screen was still in place, as was the flat screen that was installed to cover it. The projection booth was empty and only slight remnants of the Norelco projectors were to be found.
Thankfully, at least the elegant façade of the building and its next door neighbor, the Michael Todd Theatre, were salvaged and restored and now compose the majority of the Dearborn Street façade of the new Goodman Theatre complex, which built its new home on the site of the old Cinestage and Michael Todd Theatre’s, as well as the demolished Woods Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.