201 N. High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Cinema One (Official)
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Cooper Theatre, Pastime Theatre, Phoenix Theatre
The Cooper Theatre was originally constructed in the late-1940’s, opening on August 6, 1948 with Gene Autry in “The Strawberry Roan”. It was built by Mr. James Elliot who owned a brick manufacturing plant and he built the three-story building out of bricks made from his factory. The building first housed the Bureau of Indian Affairs on the 3rd story and on the 1st & 2nd stories was the theatre. It was named Cooper Theatre after the operators Mr & Mrs. Cooper who operated it as a family owned business until the early-1970’s.
In early-1970 the theatre interior burned and was destroyed by fire. The interior that was mostly destroyed was the ceiling of the theatre and the 3rd floor of the building. The theatre seating was not destroyed. All hope was lost in the theatre ever reopening until John & Mable McNutt decided to purchase the building in the early-1970’s and remodeled and reopened it as the Pastime Theatre. The McNutts operated the theatre until 2003.
In 2003 David & Patricia Brady purchased the theatre from the McNutt’s and renamed in Phoenix Theatre. They ran the theatre until September 2008 when they closed the theatre and put it on the market ‘For Sale’.
Jason & Mary Maroney purchased the theatre from the Brady’s in April 2017. It was remodeled and was in great disarray at the time of purchase. It was reopened June 15, 2017 as Cinema One. It has the original 230 seats in the theatre which have been recovered during the years as needed.
Cinema One’s mission is the provide quality entertainment at a low cost for the community.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 7 comments)
This is now The Phoenix Theatre. It’s been reborn thanks to a Dallas couple who were looking for a theatre one day and happened upon the old Pastime Theatre. I spoke to the new owners and they are thrilled at the chance to own their own theatre. Inside, they have salvaged some of the lighting from the Mac Theatre, in Hugo, OK, which closed some time ago. The Phoenix also has a great ghost story associated with it.
That is pretty cool. Good luck to them!
The fine link has a complete history of this small town movie house -
This one looks to have been closed and is for sale.
The theater is closed and has been for several years according to a waitress at High Street Pizza nearby. The appearance is as the photo shows with a few more pieces of gable metal missing. The above links are dead. Is the history referenced available elsewhere?
This theater was reopened June 15, 2017. The new name is Cinema One
Opened August 6, 1948 in the James A. Elliott Building with Gene Autry in “The Strawberry Roan.” That also ended the run of the Antlers Theatre.