492 Farmington Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Architects: James A. Tuck
Previous Names: Cinerama Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 31, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Sep 21, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 41: Hartford)
The Colonial Theater was once a beautiful, Neo-Classical style treasure in Hartford’s West End. Opened on September 13, 1926 with Viola Dana in “Bred in Old Kentucky”. It was equipped with a Marr and Colton organ. By 1933 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. The Colonial Theater became a venue for Cinerama from September 20, 1961 playing “This Is Cinerama”. It closed in July 1984 after surviving on a diet of Spanish-language, kung fu, blaxploitation and adult porn films.
After an almost 20 year silence, preservationists fought a tough battle against developers in 2000 - and lost. Most of the theater has now been demolished and only its skeleton remains.
A new restaurant was built behind the façade of the Colonial Theater and opened in July of 2004.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.