32 N. Wyoming Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Comerford Theaters Inc.
The Feeley Theatre, best known for its popular vaudeville shows, opened for the first time in November 1916 and was located at the corner of W. Green Street and Wyoming Avenue in Hazleton. Feeley advertisements often contained the quote “103 Steps from Broad Street”. It was a three-floor structure of deep red brick with some terracotta work in the facade. It contained three separate storefronts in addition to the theatre lobby on the first floor. The second and third floors contained offices and popular poolroom was in the basement for many years.
It had a long and narrow lobby of approximately 20 by 80 feet. The auditorium originally had 812 seats in the orchestra and 715 in the balcony for a total of 1,527 seats. A color scheme of rose and old gold were done throughout the auditorium and lobby. The stage measured 28 by 83 feet and it had a rather large orchestra pit.
The theatre featured vaudeville exclusively until talking pictures became very popular in the 1930’s when it switched over to mostly showing films. It was operated by Comerford Theaters Inc. Vaudeville returned a number of times in the 1940’s and 1950’s and the theatre actually hosted a number of stage shows into the 1970’s. When Paramount Pictures released “The Molly Maguries” in early-1970 (which was filmed locally), the Feeley Theatre had the world premiere showing. The theatre closed for good in 1976 and was only used for the local Philharmonic shows. It was demolished in 1980 for a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.