160 West Plant Street,
7 people favorited this theater
Garden Theatre - Winter Garden (Official)
Previously operated by: Floyd Theaters
Functions: Movies (Classic), Performing Arts
Styles: Atmospheric, Mediterranean Revival
Previous Names: Winter Garden Theatre
News About This Theater
- Sep 7, 2014 — Garden Theatre beginning New Season
- Apr 25, 2014 — Garden Theatre summer film series announced
- Sep 4, 2013 — Garden Theatre 6th Season Begins
- Aug 18, 2012 — Garden Theatre announces 2012-13 Live Season
- Sep 29, 2011 — Garden Theatre releases 2011-12 schedule
- Jul 22, 2010 — Special guest speaks at Garden Theatre
- Jun 11, 2010 — Garden Theatre begins Summer Movie Series
- Apr 23, 2010 — First in house production premiering at the Garden Theatre
- Feb 4, 2010 — Garden Theatre ownership transfered to city
- Oct 14, 2009 — Garden Theatre begins 2009-2010 season
- Jun 5, 2009 — Garden Theatre announces summer movie season
- Apr 2, 2009 — Garden Theatre exterior rendering
- Mar 6, 2009 — Garden Theatre to celebrate first year
- Jun 6, 2008 — Garden Theatre announces summer film schedule
- Mar 5, 2008 — Garden Theatre blooms again
- Jan 31, 2008 — Garden Theatre runs first film in 45 years
- Jan 14, 2008 — Garden Theatre reopening February 1st
- Oct 4, 2007 — Garden Theatre seeking box office manager
- Sep 21, 2007 — Garden Theatre featured on PBS
- Aug 13, 2007 — Garden Theatre announces Inaugural Season
- Jul 11, 2007 — Garden Theatre signs theatre company
- Jun 21, 2007 — StarLite Movie Night, Take Two
- May 18, 2007 — Garden Theatre premieres StarLite Movie Night series
- Apr 27, 2007 — Garden Theatre restoration receives high score
- Mar 7, 2007 — Garden Theatre facade revealed!
- Feb 23, 2007 — Garden Theatre - March 1 ceremony
- Oct 26, 2006 — Garden Theate facade unveiled
- Aug 14, 2006 — Garden Theatre interior plan revealed
- Dec 2, 2005 — Garden Theater Seeking Manager
- Oct 6, 2005 — Renovation Begun at Garden Theatre
Located in Winter Garden, Florida, the Garden Theatre was built and opened in 1935 as a 300 seat movie house. By 1956 it was operated by Floyd Theaters. It was shuttered in 1963. After being gutted and utilized as a warehouse for almost 40 years, the city of Winter Garden acquired the building, and has donated it to the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation for renovation.
The theater reopened February 1, 2008 as a 299-seat performing arts venue which also screens classic movies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 41 comments)
Hmmmm, MPol: I’m looking at the schedule and reading WEST SIDE STORY, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MY FAIR LADY, ANYTHING GOES, GREASE, DREAMGIRLS, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, JAWS, ANIMAL HOUSE, MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL, BLAZING SADDLES, 2001, BRAVEHEART, NORTH BY NW, CASABLANCA, BEN HUR, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA DEVIL WEARS PRADA, MAMMA MIA, MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, CORPSE BRIDE, TOOTSIE, THE GRADUATE, WAG THE DOG, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND, and THE GODFATHER 1, 2 & 3. Hardly a children’s schedule. There are selected children’s films that will be matinee attractions.
The new website address for the Garden is www.gardentheatre.org
I received 2 CT notices tonight…one was the Garden Theatre in Winter Garden FL and the other was the former Winter Garden Theatre in Jamestown NY.
A 1949 picture of this theatre, when it was known as the Winter Garden Theatre, is at this link:
Picture of film being projected on the Garden Theatre’s screen, October 2, 2010 View link
Saw a picture of the Garden Theatre in a recent Retirement Magazine. It was included in an article full of accolades about Winter Garden as a premiere retirement city. It stated that the theater had been restored, which I first thought was a typo for remodeled. Since the exterior didn’t look too much like something from the
30's. But after seeing the various pictures posted, and the disaster it looked like in the late80’s, I’d say they did a fantastic job. The only detail I would have changed, was installing the two adjacent storefront doors at either end of their respective window treatments. Like the 1949 picture above seems to have them situated. Might have been overlooked, or not consistent with current codes.
Here is my picture from June 2011.
Check out the new photo I just submitted showing a movie projected on the screen.