1015 E. Colonial Drive,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Functions: Photography Studio
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Dec 17, 2014 — "New sign crowns Cameo Theater Building in Mills 50" From Orlando, FL.
- Dec 11, 2014 — "New Sign Installed for the Former Cameo Theatre" From Orlando, FL.
- Oct 16, 2008 — Cameo opens again!
The Cameo Theatre opened on November 27, 1940 with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby in “Road to Singapore” & Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers in “Top Hat”. It was operated by E.J. Sparks, a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures. It was a latecomer in Orlando’s theatres, and was located just a block west of the Vogue Theatre. Open for less than a year, it was closed on September 21, 1941. The Cameo Theatre sat abandoned for years, save for an occasional booking by a evangelical group. The building was remodeled and occupied for years by IBM. Since then it has had many occupants, and has often been vacant. The marquee still stands.
In October 2008, it was in use as a live performance theatre, but had closed by Summer of 2009. By early-2010, it had reopened and was available ‘For Rent’, and several groups have regular performances, primarily live music. By early-2014 it was in use as a photography studio.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.