Fox Fullerton Theatre
512 N. Harbor Boulevard,
20 people favorited this theater
Fox Fullerton Theatre (Official)
Firms: Meyer & Holler
Styles: Mission Revival
Previous Names: Chapman's Alician Court Theatre, Mission Court Theatre, Fox Mission Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jun 26, 2009 — Hollywood in Fullerton Gala
- Feb 22, 2008 — Effort to save old theater is long, uphill battle
- Aug 31, 2007 — Fox Fullerton receives grant
- Mar 23, 2007 — Fox Fullerton opens its doors again
- Nov 15, 2006 — Fullerton Community saves landmark Fox Theatre
- Aug 26, 2005 — Fox Theatre Free Screening
- Nov 19, 2004 — Fox Fullerton Reaches Its Fundraising Goal
- Nov 2, 2004 — Fullerton Citizens Await Vote on Fox Fullerton's Future
- Jun 25, 2004 — Historic Theater Foundation Seeks to Save Fox Fullerton
- Feb 19, 2004 — Fox Fullerton Wins $1.65 Million Grant
- Jan 29, 2004 — Reminder -- Community Forum to Save the Fox Tonight
- Jan 23, 2004 — 'Save the Fox' Community Forum To Be Held Jan 29th
- Jan 9, 2004 — Sid Grauman and the Courtyard Theatres Event at the Egyptian
- Oct 10, 2003 — Upcoming Events at the Fox Fullerton
Opened as Chapman’s Aician Court Theatre on May 28, 1925. The opening film was Tom Mix in “Dick Turpin”. The theatre had 1,095 seats in orchestra and balcony levels, and was equipped with a Marr & Colton 3 manual 16 ranks theatre organ. Its architect was Raymond Kennedy, of the firm of Meyer and Holler, who also designed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre, both in Hollywood. The theatre was designed with a California Gold Rush theme and included several impressive murals by Anthony Heinsbergen and John Beckman. There is also sculpture throughout the theatre, and its proscenium arch (still very intact today) feature unusual tapered and squared columns called herms. In early-1929 it screened its first ‘talkie’ “Give and Take” starring Jean Hersholt and George Sydney.
By 1950 it was operated by Cabart Theaters Corp. In the mid-1950’s, the theatre was ‘modernized’ during a remodeling that obscured the theatre’s original murals and other features.
This theatre has also operated under the names Mission Court Theatre, Universal Mission Court Theatre, and the Fox Mission Theatre.
The theatre was in danger of being demolished for five-story apartments, but a non profit group, the Fullerton Historic Theatre Foundation, fought a long battle, and raised enough money to purchase the building to use it as a a multi-use entertainment venue featuring independent and classic films as well as performing arts. Work began on the restoration project in the summer of 2005.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.