156 E. Central Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: W.B. Palmer
News About This Theater
- Jun 22, 2007 — Help for Arcadia Theater
Built in 1928, the Arcadia Theatre was designed with a Spanish Atmospheric style interior, and featured both vaudeville and silent films. It opened on December 2, 1928. Within a couple years of its opening, it began showing talkies.
The Arcadia Theatre featured a large stage, and among the stars to appear on it over the years have been Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Robert Mitchum and Sandra Dee. Live performances continued to be presented at the Arcadia Theatre along with movies into the 1950’s, when a larger screen was installed, greatly reducing the stage space. From at least the early-1940’s it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell.
The Arcadia Theatre closed on December 2, 1978, on the exact day it had opened fifty years earlier. The theatre soon fell into disrepair, which included a roof collapse and subsequent heavy damage to the interior.
In 2000, the Friends of the Arcadia organization was formed and purchased the theatre. In 2003, the group replaced the roof and has since added new signage to the façade of the Arcadia.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.