1727 Snyder Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: David Supowitz
Functions: Office Space
Previous Names: Becker Theatre
This was the fourth Becker Theatre to be opened by the Becker Brothers. It was located at Bouvier Street and Snyder Avenue. It opened in January 1912 with a seating capacity of 499. By 1926 it had been enlarged to 700-seats. It became the Venice Theatre by 1931 and around 1935 it was remodeled in an Art Deco style to the plans of architect David Supowitz and the seating capacity was reduced to 500. It closed as motion picture theatre on September 7, 1953 with Dan Dailey in “The Girl Next Door” & Helena Carter in “Invaders From Mars”. In 1956 it was converted into a catering hall. In 1975 it was acquired by Venice Plaza Inc. and operated as a banquet hall.
In 2021, the building was redone to be open office spaces. Philadelphia artist Hannah Taylor painted on the façade a mural of silent film actress Theda Bara as a nod to the movie theatre heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.