722-24 Market Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Stanley-Warner Theatres, Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Architects: Paul J. Henon, Jr.
Firms: Hoffman-Henon Co.
Functions: Martial Arts School, Medical Center
The Capitol Theatre opened on September 15, 1919 with Wallace Reid in “Valley of the Giants”. Paul J. Henon Jr. is listed as the architect. It was equipped with a Kimball 3 manual 7 ranks organ. It was closed on July 6, 1920 with Clifton Webb in “Cheaper by the Dozen” & Vaughn Monroe in “Singing Guns”.
After the theatre closed there was partial or total demolition of the of 5-story theatre building. A 3-story building emerged, with the current Market Street façade that has the tile work, for retail use as M & H Sports. By 2011, it had become a dental practice & a martial arts centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Here is a 1921 photo from the PAB site, specifically from the Irvin Glazer collection:
On original documents, the spelling is CAPITAL THEATRE. The building originally had five stories but has since been reduced to three. Also, the building now has a modern façade.
The Capitol Theatre launched September 15, 1919 with Wallace Reid in “Valley of the Giants.” The Capitol was equipped for sound ten years later to remain viable. Stanley Warner Circuit closed the venue after 30 years with “Cheaper by the Dozen” and “Singing Guns” on July 6, 1950.