87 - 103 Corporation Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Rank Organisation
Firms: Harry W. Weedon Partnership
Styles: Art Deco
News About This Theater
- Jul 12, 2006 — Former Odeon Middlesbrough collapses
The Odeon was built for and operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd chain. It opened on 25th February 1939 with George Formby in “It’s in the Air”.
Designed by Harry Weedon who was assisted by W. Calder Robson, the facade was dominated by a square tower over the entrance which was clad in black tiles. The auditorium block ran parallel to the street at right-angles to the entrance. Decoration within the auditorium consisted of a scalloped edge canopy above the proscenium opening and an ornate ventilation grille in the ceiling. The projection box was located above the seating in the rear of the balcony. Seating was provided for 1,034 in the stalls and 727 in the balcony and it was the largest cinema on Teesside.
The auditorium was converted into a triple screen cinema from 29th September 1974 with 720 seats in the former balcony and two screens seating 110 each in the rear stalls area. In 1989 a fourth screen seating 254 was created in the former front stalls area.
The Odeon was re-furbished in 1999, but sadly closed on 24th June 2001 (a new 11 screen- 2,564 seat UGC Multiplex opened 22nd June on St. John’s Street). In November 2001 the former Odeon re-opened as a 1,000 capacity Jumpin' Jaks nightclub, with the sub-divisions removed but only the stalls being used.
Jumpin' Jaks closed in 2005 and in January 2006, plans were put forward to demolish the former Odeon and build a 27 storey high-rise block of residential units on the site. The Odeon was demolished in July 2006.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.