Castle Square Theatre
421 Tremont Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: E.W. Maynard
Previous Names: Arlington Theatre
The Castle Square Theater was located in Boston’s South End, a short distance south of the Wang Theatre. Its imposing entrance was part of the facade of a new hotel. Its auditorium was adapted from an unfinished circular structure intended for the display of a cycloramic painting. The spacious foyers and auditorium were exceptionally elegant. The house served as home base for a stock company and an opera/operetta troupe.
In 1917 a projection booth was constructed at the rear of the orchestra floor. The intent was to provide a horizontal throw to the screen. A film policy began in October 1917. By 1921 the house had been renamed the Arlington Theatre. During the 1920’s the theater returned to live shows and later the name reverted back to the Castle Square Theatre. It closed with the onset of the Depression and the entire complex was demolished in December 1932 and January 1933.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.