Gala Royal Cinema
51-53 Edgware Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: T.P. Bennett & Son
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: News Reel Theatre, Royal Cinema
Opened in around 1938 as the News Reel Theatre. By 1939 it was operating as the Royal Cinema. It had a small circle located at street level and stairs led down to the stalls area below street level.
Jacey Cinemas and Gala Film Distributers took over the running of the cinema by the early-1960’s and it began screening Continental/Art House films known as the Gala Royal Cinema. Towards the end of its life it went over to playing more saucy sex romps and it closed on 16th November 1979 with “When Girls Go To Bed” and “Ups and Downs of Girls on Holiday”.
The building began screening Arabic films to cater for the growing local ethnic population but closed finally in 1981. It became an Arabic centre and a restaurant (known as the Hilal House Restaurant). By 2019 it was named Shishawi.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.