116-118 Queen Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Architects: J.D. Wride
Firms: J.H. Phillips & Wride
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
A great theatre which opened on 24th December 1921. Built for an independent operator, it was taken over by Paramount in 1931 (leased). The building also had a ballroom, three restaurants, a banqueting suite and a snooker room. It was taken over by Odeon Theatres in August 1941 (leased) and finally purchased by the Rank Organisation in April 1964.
The Capitol Cinema had many famous stars appear on its large stage, including Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Bill Haley & The Comets, Danny Kaye, The Bay City Rollers and on 7th November 1964, The Beatles.
Closed on 21st January 1978 with the X-rated double bill programme “Yellow Emmanuel” and “The Street Killers”. It was demolished in February 1983 and the Capitol Odeon Cinemas were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.