208-210 N. Main Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Tivoli Theatre
News About This Theater
The Tivoli Theatre was opened on May 21, 1925 by the Mishawaka Theater Corporation, as the city’s premier entertainment venue of its day for both vaudeville acts and silent films.
Designed by Chicago architect Edward P. Rupert in an Italian Renaissance/Neo-Classical blend, it could originally seat 1,400.
Its facade, made of red brick decorated with ornate cream-colored terra cotta, was highlighted by a large arch-shaped window with two smaller windows on either side.
Besides the theatre, the Tivoli Building held several stores and apartments upstairs.
In 1929, the theatre was wired for sound, and from then on, it featured movies only. It was remodelled in 1937 to the plans of architect Lawrence Monberg of architectural firm Monberg & Wagner
It remained Mishawaka’s largest and most popular movie house for nearly three more decades, until closing in 1958.
The Tivoli Theatre reopened in the late-1960’s as an adult theatre called the Cinema Art and remained so until closing in 1991.
It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 and its exterior retained most of its original decorative elements.
Sadly, after a valiant struggle since the early-1990’s to save the Tivoli Theatre by several groups, the theatre was razed in February 2005, to clear the site for future redevelopment and an apartment building now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.