1010 S. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Carmike Cinemas, GKC Theatres, Kerasotes Theatres
Previous Names: Cinema 1 & 2
News About This Theater
- Jul 13, 2010 — Carmike abruptly closes University Cinemas in Normal
- Dec 21, 2009 — Apartments approved for University Cinemas site in Normal
Near the campus of Illinois State University. This was a small stand alone twin-screen theater which was opened by Kerasotes Theatres on December 25, 1970 with Richard Benjamin in “Diary of a Mad Housewife” and Robert Redford in “Little Fauss & Big Halsy”. It was taken over by GKC Theatres in 1991. Later operated by Carmike Cinemas. Very reasonably priced and popular with the college students as they could walk here from campus.
It was closed suddenly on June 30, 2010, and demolished in September 1010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
This theater opened in 1971 as a twin and was the first multi-screen theater in the Bloomington-Normal area. It was eventually expanded to house eight screens. Plans were approved in December of 2009 to build student apartments on the site. The theater was last operated as a discount house by Carmike, which abruptly closed the theater on June 30, 2010. Story here: View link
PLEASE CHANGE STATUS TO:
Can anyone take any photos inside or out before it’s torn down?
Status should now be Closed/Demolished. Two demolition photos: