1511 W. 18th Street,
1511 W. 18th Street,Chicago, IL 60608
No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 5 comments
Now it is a torteya cmpany.
It was also later a bowling alley.
This one is a little odd. A 1914 Sanborn map shows the theater occupying only the westernmost of the three lots this building occupies; the building was seemingly built in 1909 as a Post Office (it certainly looks like one too) and the eastern two lots are shown as such. It later became a bowling alley. It seems likely that the theater occupied a third of the post office- perhaps it was built too large for the area.
Pictures of this theatre are HERE
Konrad Schiecke’s book ‘Historic Movie Theatre in Illinois 1883-1960’ states;Opened 1914;Closed 1927;Seats:300. The site is now a building used for recreational activities.