518-520 Adams Street,
8 people favorited this theater
Architects: George W. Leslie Rapp
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
News About This Theater
- Aug 5, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 37: Toledo)
Located on the corner of Adams Street and Huron Street. The Paramount Theatre opened on February 16, 1929, with Richard Dix in “Redskin”. Seating was provided for 1,589 in the orchestra, 394 in the mezannine and 1,426 in the balcony. It was equipped with a Wurlizer 4 manual, 20 ranks pipe organ which was opened by organist Dwight Brown.
Designed in French Renaissance/Atmospheric style, it was one of only a handful of Atmospheric style theatres designed by the Chicago based architectural firm Rapp & Rapp. Although it was a beautiful theatre, the Paramount Theatre never fulfilled its potential, and for most of the time was a loss maker.
It was closed as a regular movie theatre on November 5, 1960 and was converted into a Cinerama theatre. It was closed on November 3, 1963 with “How the West Was Won”. The Toledo Paramount Theatre was demolished in September 1965. The site is now used for car parking.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.