Loew's State Theatre
205 Massachusetts Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Donnelly Memorial Theatre, Back Bay Theatre
Opened on March 13, 1922 with Ethel Clayton in “The Cradle” & Wallace Beery in “The Champion” plus short subjects. The Loew’s State Theatre was a decadent movie palace with a total seating capacity of 3,7003 velvet seats in orchestra and balcony levels plus opera-type box seats.
Replete with a luxurious ladies room with chairs and sofas and huge mirrors around the room. The theatre was filled with chandeliers and carpeted in an Asiatic theme. The theatre also had a Wurlitzer 3 manual 13 ranks pipe organ and within the 54ft wide proscenium were huge red velvet drapes that opened and closed at each showing.
After closing as a movie theatre in 1959, it went over to live performance and concerts use as the Donnelly Memorial Theatre by 1962 and finally the Back Bay Theatre. Sadly, the old Loew’s State Theatre on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston was demolished in May, 1968.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.