389 Princess Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Odeon Theatres Ltd.
Firms: Kaplan & Sprachman
News About This Theater
At opening in December, 1941, the Odeon Theatre gave Kingston’s population of 35,000 one of the finest cinemas in Ontario, according to a report in the 1942 Film Daily Year Book. The Odeon was also claimed to be the first theatre in Canada to have an interior in the so-called "Modern Baroque" style. Kaplan & Sprachman were the architects.
Located on Kingston’s main street, the Odeon had a "V" shaped marquee and a vertical sign that rose 60 feet above the sidewalk. The facade was faced with dark terra cotta Macotta over the entrance. The lobby had black Vitrolite walls, with the entire ceiling sanded in white opal glass.
Auditorium walls were of gold damask with black velour near the stage. The ceiling, of smooth painted plaster, was in pink red, white, gold and blue. Sweeping plaster curves tied in walls and ceiling. Plaster and glass fixtures added to the illusion of baroque fantasy. The balcony floor had seating for 280, and also contained a lounge and restrooms.
More information is needed about the Odeon’s history and the current status of the site. At time of opening, the Kingston Odeon was one of about 70 theatres operated by the Odeon circuit throughout Canada.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.