3 people favorited this theater
Reel Cinemas, UK (Official)
Operated by: Reel Cinemas, UK
Architects: James Parsons
Firms: Parsons & Sons
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Scala Picture House
The Scala Picture House was built on the site of a graveyard and opened on 4th September 1913. It is located on the corner of Pimlico and Burns Street, adjacent to the Market Place. It is one of the most significant and important cinemas to open in Derbyshire.
The architects were Parsons & Sons of Bulwell, Nottingham and the building cost Â£5,000 British Pounds to construct and fit out. The facade is covered in Hathern terra-cotta which is decorated in the form of swags and scrolls and is made up of two wings that extend out between a high arched entrance in the centre. Inside the auditorium there were 900 seats in the stalls and 100 in the circle (today those figures are greatly reduced). There was a seperate entrance and paybox on Burns Street for the front stall seats. The building has been virtually unaltered since its opening.
Operated by Reel Cinemas, it remains open today. The Scala Cinema is a Grade II* Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.