2115 Woodward Avenue,
10 people favorited this theater
The Fillmore Detroit (Official)
Previously operated by: Kunsky Theatres, Publix, United Detroit Theaters
Architects: Charles Howard Crane
Functions: Concerts, Movies, Nightclub
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Palms Theatre, State Theatre, Palms-State Theatre
News About This Theater
- Aug 5, 2008 — Detroit historic theatres tour
Now one of the best theatres in Detroit for concerts, the former 3,500-seat Palms Theatre (later State Theatre) still pays tribute to its glorious movie palace past by showing classic films during the summer. The theatre is located half a block from the Fox Theatre. It opened as the Palms Theatre for Kunsky-Loew’s Theatres on October 29, 1925, it was built on the site of the (first) Grand Circus Theatre (1913-1924). It was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre organ. Renamed State Theatre, on June 18, 1928 it screened its first ‘talkie’:“Glorious Betsy” starring Dolores Costello & Conrad Nagel.
On May 22, 1937 it was renamed Palms-State Theatre. Later operated by United Detroit Theatres it was renamed State Theatre again. It was closed as a movie theatre in 1983. After several years laying empty, it became Clubland, a dance club/concert hall from September 28, 1989.
The State Theatre was taken over by Live Nation and in 2007 was re-named The Fillmore. It was restored in 2018, reopening in October 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 30 comments)
If anyone cares Torn Curtain played first run at the Adams Theatre located around the corner from the Palms on Grand Circust Park. The Palms always played a 2nd feature the second or third week of an engagement after it open, it was expected by our cliental. Jack Cataldo prepare the copy of the Palms Marqee with the copy for Rough & Torn Curtin.
This is from Boxoffice magazine in November 1956:
DETROIT-Lobby remodeling that began last March at the Palms Theater here has been completed. Incorporating the adjoining store space, the new lobby has modern bronze and glass doors, a new confection counter in the center and a decorative scheme in scarlet, gold and black.
A new 200-ton cooling plant also has been installed-all work having been done while the 3,000-seat theater was in operation 18 hours daily.
New photos from May 29th 2010.
Folks lined up at the Palms to see Mighty Joe Young and Isle the Dead, photo from the 1950s in Boxoffice issue of November 18, 1963:
Nice interior dome shot at the top of this page.
The Castle Theatre stood on this site in 1926 and seated 531.
October 29th, 1925 grand opening ad in photo section as State
Getting a new digital marquee.
Promotional poster added to Photos gallery for :Clubland at the State Theatre", photo credit Geri Gillespie. Chicagos' Vic Theatre used the same niteclub concept & candy cane font for Clubland at the Vic Theatre in mid to late `80s below.
On June 16, 1928, the State became “the first theatre in the world devoted primarily to the newest sensation in entertainment—TALKING PICTURES,” according to an advertisement in the Detroit Free Press. The movie was “Glorious Betsy” with Dolores Costello and Conrad Nagel. See the Photos section for more information.