3310 Lakeland Hills Boulevard,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Floyd Theaters
The Filmland Drive-In opened on January 8, 1953 screening the 1952 comedy “Dreamboat” starring Clifton Webb, Ginger Rogers and Anne Francis. In addition they showed Bugs Bunny cartoons for enjoyment by both adults and children. It was opened by W.H. (Bill) Clem and Joe Falletta (dba Filmland Drive-In Inc.). They were both World War II veterans and decided their growing town needed another outdoor theatre. They decided to call it Filmland. The buyer and booking agency was Exhibitors Service, Jacksonville, FL. It opened with RCA’s latest film projectors along with RCA sound system and in-a-car speakers. The new airer was advertised to park 600-cars with room to add another 150 spaces in the future. Mrs T.M. Campbell was the concession stand operator.
Floyd Theaters leased the drive-in from Klem & Falletta in October of 1960. They were now operating the Filmland Drive-In, Lakeland and the Silver Moon Drive-In. In September of 1986, Harold Spears, who was president of Floyd Theaters decided to close the Filmland Drive-In for good. The 25 year lease was up and the property had been sold. Spears decided September is the best time to vacate the drive-in as the slow winter season was approaching. The last features screened at the Filmland Drive-In were Rodney Dangerfield in “Back to School” and Bryan Brown in “FX”, both for 50 cents per person. On September 7, 1986, the Filmland Drive-In went dark for good!
The Johns Hopkins All Children’s Outpatients Care, Lakeland now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.