16 Southgate Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Picturedrome, Regal Cinema
The Picturedrome opened in early-1911 with a seating capacity of 580. It was taken over by the Union Cinema Co. Ltd. circuit in 1929 and was re-named Regal Cinema. At this time the cinema was enlarged to a seating capacity of 863 with 714 seats in the stalls and 149 in the circle.
In 1935 it was taken over by County Cinemas chain who were then taken over by the Oscar Deutsch, Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain from 31st July 1935 and was re-named Odeon from 2nd December 1935.
The Odeon always had a rather ‘old fashioned’ look to it, with a Bath stone façade in a Classical style and an auditorium which had a deeply curved barrel roof. It was closed on 13th December 1969 and was purchased by property developers. The new Southgate shopping centre was built and the site of the Odeon is occupied by a store for Boots Ltd.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.