Northgate Twin Theatres
1058 West Club Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Northgate Theatre, Northgate Theatres 1 & 2
The Northgate Shopping Center was built in 1960 by W. Kenan Rand Jr., and it became Durham’s largest and most popular shopping center that was anchored by a Big Star/Colonial Grocery Store, along with a Kerr Discount Drugs, a Roses Department Store, a Thalhimers' Department Store and a line of specialty shops and select businesses.
The Northgate Theatre, located on the Northwest corner of the shopping center next to Ballentine’s Cafeteria, opened on December 25, 1962, with a special preview of Durham’s newest and most modern theatre that was for invited guests and government officials along with a special screening that was made for those attending. The official opening of the Northgate Theatre took place on Christmas Day of 1962, and was open to the public with the featured screening of “Jumbo” starring Doris Day and Stephen Boyd. The single screen theatre had a capacity of 700, and was equipped with full stereophonic sound and a super widescreen projection equipment that was capable of showing 35mm and 70mm presentations. The theatre was owned and operated by Charlotte based Consolidated Theatres.
It remained a single screen theatre until around June 13, 1975, when the original auditorium was split into two 350-seat sections creating shoebox auditoriums with smaller screens. It was renamed Northgate Twin Theatres with the opening attractions “Pippi Longstocking”, and “The Other Side of the Mountain”. Martin Theatres took over the Northgate Twins operation, and in 1982, Carmike Cinemas acquired the theatre, operating it until its closing in 1986 when the theatre was demolished to make way for renovations to the expansion of Northgate Mall.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.