1510 E. 63rd Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Firms: Fridstein & Company
One of Chicago’s great lost movie palaces, the Tower Theatre, located in the Woodlawn neighborhood at E. 63rd Street between S. Stony Island Avenue and S. Blackstone Avenue, near Jackson Park, was one of a trio of very similarly designed (and sized) theatres built by the firm of Fridstein & Company for the Lubliner & Trinz circuit (the Harding Theatre, Tower Theatre and Congress Theatre).
The Tower Theatre, the largest of the three, seated just under 3,000, and was opened April 11, 1926, half a year after the Harding Theatre, and half a year before the Congress Theatre.
All three were designed in a similar Italian Renaissance style. Of the three, the Tower Theatre would be the least ornately decorated, but had a large stage and, like its siblings, was home to vaudeville and stage shows in addition to motion pictures for its first decade or so in operation.
In 1928, the Tower Thetare, along with the entire Lubliner & Trinz chain, was swallowed up by the Balaban & Katz empire of theatres. It remained a B & K house for the remainder of its existence.
The Tower Theatre closed in 1956 and was demolished in 1957.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.