106 Buckeye Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Harkness Theatre, Willow Theatre
The Harkness Theatre was opened on November 23, 1915 with Mary Pickford in “Behind the Scenes”. On January 29, 1938 it was renamed Clyde Theatre, opening with Nelson Eddy in “Rosalie”. Harold Greenberg owned the Clyde in 1950. On 23rd September 1954 it suffered damage from a fire. Repairs were carried out and it reopened as the Willow Theatre on September 14, 1955. It soon reverted back to the Clyde Theatre name and was closed on April 13, 1958.
It became a church and they vacated the building in the 1960’s and it was demolished in January 1971 for the site to become a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
The Harkness Theatre launched November 23, 1915 at 106 West Buckeye Street with Mary Pickford in “Behind the Scenes.” Harkness Davenport’s aunt and uncle, E.S. Nichols named it after him as the Harkness Theatre. John G. Furrer took on the venue continuing it as a silent movie theater into the 1930s and declared bankruptcy in January of 1932. But the he made a comeback in September of 1932 and had sound films.
On January 29, 1938, it was renamed as the Clyde Theatre opening with Nelson Eddy in “Rosalie.” Fire damaged the theatre following the September 23, 1954 showings. It was repaired and became the Willow Theatre on September 14, 1955 under the operation of Louis LaBonte. Under one final operator, a Mr. Nuhn, it returned to the Clyde Theatre nameplate and went out of business following the April 13, 1958 showings.
In April of 1958, the former Clyde Theatre became the Deliverance Tabernacle Church in the late 1950s. It was used for sporadic rummage sales in the 1960s. The venue joined the long list of theatres in the parking lot brigade following its demolition in January of 1971.