210 W. Lexington Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
News About This Theater
- Mar 17, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Oct 24, 2010 — "The Alamo"...Happy 50th!
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
- May 8, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 30: Baltimore)
First opened on December 17, 1910, the now-ironically named New Theatre is one of the oldest theaters in Baltimore.
It could seat 1,400 originally and was decorated in highly ornate Beaux-Arts style. Designed by architects A. Lowther Forrest and Oliver B. Wight.
The New Theatre had two small balconies, side boxes and a stage with an proscenium arch with elaborate plasterwork.
In 1921, the theater was remodeled for the first time, followed by more remodelings in 1929, 1935, and 1946. The last one, by architect Armand de Cortieux Carroll, destroyed all that remained of the New Theatre’s orginal decor, including the removal of the two balconies and their replacement by a single larger one to give an increased seating capacity of 1,800.
Modernized one last time in the late-1960’s, its main entrance was switched from West Lexington Street to Park Avenue.
The New Theatre was shuttered in September 1986 and afterwards served for a number of years as a clothing store. In 2002, the former theater was scheduled for demolition to clear the way for a renewal project of the area. Demolition finaly came in April 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.