5 S. Greenwood Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Hopewell Theater (Official)
Architects: Walter Hankin
Previous Names: Colonial Playhouse, Off-Broad Street Theatre
No theaters found within 30 miles
From around 1880 to 1939, Columbia Hall hosted lectures, performers and films on its second floor. The first floor was for community groups, the Fire Department and Borough Council meetings, and to hold elections. In 1939 that building was demolished to build a new building, a movie theatre called the Colonial Playhouse which opened in 1940 and had a Colonial Revival style lobby. Seating was provided for 345. Movies were shown into the 1950’s. Herbert Laird ran and presented film from 1924 to 1951 at the previous Columbia Hall and then at the Colonial Playhouse.
From 1960 to 1984, George Gallup of the famous Gallup polling group owned and used the building to conduct public polling. From 1984 until December 31, 2016, the building was operated and eventually owned by Julie and Bob Thick as the Off-Broad Street Theatre, which provided musicals, dramas, comedies and desserts.
In 2015 the Thicks sold the building to new owners who built a balcony and since 2017 operate the theatre as the Hopewell Theater. There are live shows and independent movies. Including the balcony, the theatre has 176 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.