New Colony Cinema
58 Old Colony Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Colonial Revival
Previous Names: Cinema
This single screen movie house was originally an artist colony studio. It was used to put on shows and display artwork in the early-1900’s in the small summer town of Old Lyme, CT.
Named the Cinema, during the silent film era movies were played on a large screen while an orchestra played live music in a small pit in front of the stage. It was once owned by the former Gov. of CT Ella T. Grasso and her husband in the 1960’s.
In the 1970’s and early-1980’s it was run by Richard Orfitelli primarily as a summer movie house showing mostly horror films to the teen children of renters who flocked to the shore every summer. The New Colony Cinema closed on September 9, 1985. It was part demolished in 1989 and the remaining section has been converted into residential use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.