252 W. 45th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Herbert J. Krapp
Functions: Live Theater
Styles: Spanish Colonial
Previous Names: Theatre Masque, John Golden Theatre
The Theatre Masque opened on February 24, 1927 with “Puppets of Passion”, which ran for 12 performances. It is a small, intimate playhouse, with a small mezzanine and one balcony. Built by the Chanin Brothers, it was taken over by John Golden in in the mid-1930’s, and renamed John Golden Theatre.
After a successful run of “Angel Street” which ran for 1,293 performances from December 1941, there were a few minor successes, and then in the middle of 1946, it went over to screening movies. These were mainly foreign made films, and it remained in cinema use until February 29, 1948, when Maurice Chevalier was presented in a one man show.
For many years now it has been the Golden Theatre, and it was given Landmark designation (both externally and internally) in 1987.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.