Cybi Cinema

Trearddur Square,
Holyhead, LL65

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

Capelmawr on October 28, 2009 at 11:38 am

The Cybi was noted as holding film shows from around 1930 and was then fitted with a Morisons sound system. Whether it was run by a travelling showman or not is unknown. It was closed at the outbreak of WWII.

In 1945 under the ownership of Messrs Johnson and Berretta it was refurbished and re-opened with continuous shows from 5.45pm every evening, with matinees on Saturdays. It seated 240 patrons in a hall just 25 ffeet wide. By 1952 Mr C.W. Barretta was in sole ownership and prices ranged from 1/– to 1/9d. It installoed cinemascope around 1955 with a screen 18 feet in width.

Aound 1961 ownership passed to Mr W.T. Richards with prices from 1/6d to 2/3d. In 1968 a Mr Johnson was the owner and then Mr E.G. Lennard succeeded him with prices ranging from 2/– to 3/6d. By now it was featuring Bingo on a part time basis and in 1972 it became a full time Bingo and Social Club. The licence for bingo was given up in the early 1980’s and the building closed and boarded up. Most recent usage known was as the Jimmy O'Toole Unemployed Workers Centre.