Studio One

High Street,
Maldon, CM9 5EG

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Shipman & King Cinemas Ltd.

Architects: David Evelyn Nye

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Embassy Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Studio One

Opened on 19th March 1936 for the Shipman and King circuit, the Embassy Cinema was a grand Art Deco style cinema featuring a Wurlitzer 3Manual/6Ranks organ with an illuminated console. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. There was also a café for the convenience of its patrons.

The cinema was never sub-divided, and was taken over by Star Cinemas chain in 1967 and re-named Studio One. It was closed in August 1982 and was demolished in 1985.

An old people’s home stands on the site now and bears it’s name as "Embassy Court"

The Embassy Cinema in not too far away Braintree (architects Leslie Kemp & Tasker-1935) also had a similar history to the Maldon Embassy, but has survived and operates today as a JD Wetherspoon pub.

Contributed by Gary Davies, Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm

A photograph of the Embassy Cinema’s Wurlitzer organ console:
http://www.ukwurlitzer.co.cc/1772.html

execelsior
execelsior on October 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

The link does not work.

madorganplayer
madorganplayer on January 9, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Wurlitzer organ was a three manual six rank instrument.Removed to a residence in Capel st Mary near Ipswich with an odd arrangement of the console in the house and the pipework in a building at the end of the garden.The organ was mic`d up and the sound fed through leslie speakers in the house.The owner then emigrated to South Africa but only took part of the organ with him.

Biffaskin
Biffaskin on July 15, 2021 at 10:55 am

Opening date was 19/03/1936.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.