Grand Palace Cinema
6-10 Robin Hood Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Charles Brett
Firms: Lyon & Hastings
Previous Names: Grand Palace Picture Theatre
The Grand Palace Picture Theatre was opened in December 1913. It was located at the rear of the Poplar Pavilion (later Essoldo). In 1933, it was taken over by George Smart, who by then had also added the Poplar Pavilion to his chain. Modernised and enlarged to the plans of architect Charles Brett in December 1934.
The Grand Palace Cinema was damaged by a German bomb on 22nd September 1940 and was closed. It was requisitioned by the Ministry of Food, and was used as a food store for the remainder of World War II. It never re-opened as a cinema, and became a storage warehouse, until it was demolished in the late-1980’s. The site was used for a new road widening scheme at the mouth of the Blackwall Tunnel, which serves road traffic beneath the River Thames.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.