260 O'Farrell Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres
Firms: Cunningham & Politeo
Previous Names: United Nations Theatre
News About This Theater
- May 27, 2008 — Alcazar Theatre info
The Alcazar Theatre opened in 1911, and soon became one of San Francisco’s leading legitimate theaters, replacing the previous Alcazar Theatre one block to the East, which was destroyed in the earthquake and fire of April 1906.
With the advent of talkies, and the Depression of the 1930’s, the Alcazar Theatre fell on hard times and became a secondary low-price film outlet.
On May 1, 1945, it was used by the United Nations Peace Conference for some of its meetings, and reopened on June 27, 1945 as the United Nations Theatre, operating as a move-over house for the Fox West Coast Circuit.
In 1952 it was renamed the Alcazar Theatre once again, and reverted back to legitimate productions.
It closed on New Years Eve 1961, and was torn down. The Handlery Motor Hotel was soon built on its former site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.