100 Whitechapel Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Adams & Coles
Styles: French Renaissance
Located in the east London inner city district of Whitechapel. Built on the site of Wonderland, which had been destroyed by fire in 1917. The Rivoli Cinema was opened on 1st August 1921. It was one of the first ‘super cinemas’ to be built in London’s East End.
The façade of the Rivoli Cinema was faced in white tiles manufactured by the Hathern Station Brick & Terra Cotta Company. There were two sections to the building, which had between them, an entrance to the Whitechapel Railway Station on the Metropolitan Line. Inside the auditorium, the decoration was in a rich French Renaissance style, and seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The projection box was located at the rear of the stalls, under the circle. There was a stage for variety shows which were part of the programme in the first decade until talkies were introduced. The Rivoli Cinema also had a café for the convenience of its patrons. It was operated by the Clavering Circuit, based on Mile End Road.
It was taken over by the United Picture Theatres circuit in January 1928. They were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres chain in July 1930.
The Rivoli Cinema was destroyed by German bombs on 22nd October 1940. The remains of the building were finally demolished in the early-1960’s.
Today, an office block containing a Citroen car dealership now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.