Loew's 86th Street Theatre
162 E. 86th Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Brandt Theaters, Loew's Inc.
Previous Names: 86th Street Theatre
The 86th Street Theatre was listed in the 1914-1915 edition of American Motion Picture Directory. In April 1916, Marcus Loew’s Midvale Amusement Company took it over and it was renamed Loew’s 86th Street Theatre. It operated as a late run motion picture site until at least 1950 and was possible run by Brandt during the final years.
The theatre covered a plot fronting 27.9 on 86th street and running through the block to 163-165 East 85th street with a 91.5 front on the latter street. It stood three stories high at 86th street and four stories high at 85th street.
This was the third Loew’s theatre on the block, the others being the Loew’s Yorkville Theatre and the Loew’s Orpheum Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 9 comments)
This entry is assuming that the Loew’s Yorkville closed in 1921 and that this location was the one that persevered through the forties with this name.
Does anyone know anything different?
Still listed in the 1953 Film Daily Yearbook as a Loew’s.
Any pictures anyone?
Great photo Tinseltoes were do you get them?
The 1959 Film Daily Yearbook lists a Brandt 86th Street. If this was the only Brandt on 86th Street then it was open that late.
Checkout the Loew’s Yorkville page for more details on the theatre Loew’s on this block.
A Brandt 86th Street theatre is still advertised in October 1963 but disappears shortly after.
For what it is worth, the above photo was taken around October of 1936. The double bill playing at the Loew’s 86th Street is “Postal Inspector” with Ricardo Cortez (released 8/16/36) and “Blackmailer” with William Gargan (released 7/23/36). At the next door Grande, the main feature was a German language film “Hot Blood (Heisser Blut) with Marika Roekk and Paul Kemp, which was released on 9/25/36
The New York City Chapter of the American Guild of Organists provides this web page with information about the Moller organ installed in the 86th Street Theatre when Marcus Loew took over its operation in 1916.