3760 S. Orlando Drive,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Floyd Theaters
Previous Names: Movieland Ride-In
The Movieland Ride-In had a grand opening night on April 29, 1949, screening the 1947 romantic comedy “Time for Keeps” featuring Esther Williams, Jimmy Durante, Johnnie Johnston & Lauritz Melchior. It was opened by C.B. Schirard dba Sanford Auto Theatre Inc. In 1955-56 Exhibitors Service Co. from Jacksonville, FL was the buyer and booker. It featured a 440-car capacity, with RCA speakers and sound equipment.
Carl Floyd dba Floyd Theatres bought the theatre in May of 1958. He remodeled and modernized the drive-in. William Lovelace was the resident manager and he lived in the base of the screen tower. On May 6, 1958, Floyd Theatres held a grand reopening screening screening the 1957 drama “Raintree County” with Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor and Eva Marie Saint. In 1978, Floyd Enterprises was bought by Burns & Sims and later they got bought out by Mastec, Inc. The Ri-Mar Drive-In and Movieland Drive-In closed for good on April 30, 1996 and the Starlite Drive-In closed on May 10, 1996. They were not profitable enough for the owners Mastec, Inc from Miami, FL. The Movieland Drive-In was demolished in 2002 for a Loewe’s Improvement Store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.